Appartment not as described and Airbnb won't respond... what to do ?

Answered!
Kate1715
Level 2
Paris, France

Appartment not as described and Airbnb won't respond... what to do ?

Hello everybody,

I traveled with my husband and my 23-months-old son to Lyon, France, just last week. 

Knowing that it would get very hot in Lyon and that my son doesn't handle the heat very well, I looked only for appartments with air conditioning. 

That was my #1 requirement. I found a place with air conditioning and according to the listing, it was "ideal for a couple with children".

Long story short, when we arrived of course there was no air conditioning and the appartment was not safe for children (and even for adults) : on the first floor the handrail was incomplete (an adult could easily fall from the 1st floor) and the ceiling had a very low beam (we banged our heads several times). Also other things that are unsafe for kids but too long to describe here.

I contacted the host about the missing aircon and she just said that it was a mistake on her behalf and she apologized, nothing else. Even when I said that my son doesn't handle the heat well, she didn't offer anything (just apologies again).

Then I sent a message to the AirBnb support within 24 hours of my check-in, as I'm supposed to do in such case.

2 days later, I sent another message to the AirBnb support, also to say that the place was unsafe and that we already had several accidents.

2 days later my trip was over and I sent an email with pictures of the appartment.

I never got any reply to any of my messages !

Today I tried to call them, I waited and waited... after 30mn (that was supposed to be 5mn), I gave up.

What would be your suggestions on what to do now ?

1 Best Answer
Kate1715
Level 2
Paris, France

Just to let everybody know what happened in the end...

So I messaged the host, asking for a partial refund and explaining why, and as expected she never replied to me.

But unexpectedly, Airbnb support called me to know if I still needed help and I explained the whole situation again. They told me that I should be compensated for the missing amenity and the safety issues and that the host should be penalized. Then they called the host and then called me again, saying that the host finally agreed to give me a 50€ refund (which is about 19% of the total amount paid). I have no idea how they calculated this amount but that works for me.

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kate1715  That was good of you to come back here and let everyone know how things worked out. I'm glad you were able to get a resolution.