Are Temperatures Rising? The Comet & Temperatures 1632

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Are Temperatures Rising? The Comet & Temperatures 1632

For those with an interest in the wider world, this article is quite fascinating.

Let's start having some conversations about how our planets interact with temperatures where we live

The Comet

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZCPNA18430331.2.10

Screenshot_2020-10-29 Papers Past Newspapers New Zealand Colonist and Port Nicholson Advertiser 31 March 1843 AUCKLAND THE [...].png

4 Replies 4

Sorry if I'm very superficial, I can't read everything and I rely too much on the title of your post. However, temperatures are rising, studies on this are based on specificities that only happen now and that in the past seem to have never happened. While recognizing that the climate has always changed, at the beginning of the 1700s, for example, many European rivers frozed and on the Seine in Paris the municipality held markets and events, , even the lagoon of Venice frozed.

Thanks for posting and sorry again for the superficiality!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I am with @Francesco1366 as far as not being able to focus on a long article. We’ve had record cold days here in Chicago for several years in a row. Every time we joke about where is the global warning everyone talks about

I think we don't have to consider the cold peaks but the averages. The Italian google tells me that temperatures in Chicago have increased by 2 degrees compared to the beginning of 1900. Could it be true? And why? How much did they increase from 1800 to 1900? I do not really know.

Maybe it's not very useful to focus only on increasing, I simply see that we are applying, in a world that is populating as quickly as ever, rules that need to be changed. Eg we continue to have, essentially, our garden and our breeding. Today there are many technologies to feed us, it seems to me in some cases that we are continuing to pull handly the plow when instead we could attack a horse.

But I can be wrong, I am the king of superficiality 😊 and the topic is very large, @Inna22

@Francesco1366 

Have you ever ventured into your local archived newspapers to find earlier weather records?
We are blessed to have had sage people before us record all the information in their eras.

I've stumbled on weather records dating back to prior to 1600  in Papers Past.

It's fascinating reading however one must also look where they took the temperature and how it has changed in those locations with buildings, or if the temperature is now been taken in a different location in the area.

As an example, in Auckland the temperature used to be taken in Albert Park in the what used to be a small Victorian settlement with one or 2 storied buildings, alas it is now a city full of taller (in my own opinion ugly) buildings and the weather temperature, rain etc is recorded further to the West Coast of Auckland closer to Auckland Airport.

These things are all variables as to how we should be interpreting such records.

Perhaps you have some stories to add to this topic to in your location and how it has changed.

Do you have any Sundials in location?
Who made them, what are they made of and when were they made?

Perhaps you can add them to your listing as a point of interest.