Attention fellow hosts and lurking guests: “The Perfect Request”

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Attention fellow hosts and lurking guests: “The Perfect Request”

Just thought I’d share this as an example of The Perfect Request. The guy had 3 5* reviews as well. Had no problem accepting it, obviously.

Hi Patricia. My wife and I will be traveling to Maui for the third time, and couldn't be more excited that we found your condo! We haven't been to Maui during February, and are excited to hopefully see some whales and enjoy things during peak season. It will be just the two of use traveling, and we hope you'll agree to allow us to stay. Thanks! ~<guest’s name>

Although such politeness, information-sharing, and flattery isn’t a hard requirement with me, it doesn’t hurt. 🙂 It also doesn’t guarantee the perfect stay, as sometimes guests are on their best behavior while booking. Still, intros like this go a long way with me. When both parties strive for a pleasant, feel-good collaboration, everybody wins.

Any other examples of Perfect Requests?

@Robin4, I’m sure you have some gems (to go along with your usual wise words)…

15 Replies 15

@Pat271 

Almost all of our requests are like this, and it almost guarantees a great match!

@Kitty-and-Creek0 

Lucky you!

Yesterday I got one that simply said “We’ll be arriving between 1 and 2:00 PM”.

My checkin time is at 4.😂

So, I had to ask a couple of additional, basic questions. No big deal, but not “perfect”.

@Pat271 

We do have a conversation with guests prior to arrival, and we clear up basic things like that in advance. We are sharing our home, and we are very rural + off grid, so there are often questions. We assume that  not everyone  manages to get through reading all of our listing also we ask for questions. There are occasional requests from people who fall in love with the photos and don't read the listing. These generally have many more questions if it gets far enough in the booking process. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Pat271 

Oh I agree it's so nice when guest include a thoughtful first message. Most of mine are great even if they are brief. 

Vast majority of guest have been great but so far after 4 years and 400+ stays the younger guest have been the most considerate. 

This is a recent guest in their 20s and just inspiring from beginning to end. I could only wish I had this level of communication skills, but I do work hard to make sure every guest stay is perfect.  

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 7.31.22 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-17 at 7.32.17 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-17 at 7.47.01 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-17 at 8.02.47 AM.png

This is another recent one that I'm really looking forward to. As mentioned the vast majority of guest are very considerate. I didn't mention it but I used to visit a friend in the Santa Cruz mountains every summer so this is all very endearing to me and close to my heart. I did allow her to extend her trip as she is traveling so far. I can only hope she will have a great stay and I'll be thinking of some suggestions that would be ideal for her. For example there is a ferry that goes out to one the undeveloped barrier islands with lots of wildlife thats perfect for guest on longer trips. I really love the diversity and over 99% of my guest love it. 

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 8.52.09 AM.png

@John5097 

Wow, those chats are wonderful! It’s so nice to read chats like these, and they far outweigh the less pleasant exchanges. They are what keep hosting worthwhile.

I also think that degrees of cordiality tend to be cultural. I notice you are in SC - I also have one of my condos in SC, and I’ve noticed more guest effusiveness there than in my place on Maui, where guests are typically from the mainland coastal areas. Those guests tend to be a bit more reserved. It doesn’t mean they are any less nice, but there are differences in expression and delivery. I’m stereotyping, of course, but that is my general observation. There is nothing like Southern charm!

@Pat271 

Agree 100%. It's so nice when guest are considerate! So far I have offering a better value, as similar listings charge twice as much, but always have to keep adjusting, and will go up in rates. I really have enjoyed so many of the guest so far and booking so far in advance but it's always changing. 

This young couple had great communication skills, one was a college English professor in SF and have hundreds of stays all over the world.

Luckily I happened to be out there at the beach as there car broke and was being repaired. I took them to the lighthouse instead and we saw some dolphins at sunset but I think the girlfriend really wanted to hang out at the taco place and listen to live music but I'm not having drinks with guest and driving them back home. That's what Uber's for. I happened to ask them how much the Uber fare was and it was only $28 so I'm glad I happened to be out there or would have offered to go get them as their car was broken and it sounded like they were stranded, but I can't be Uber diver for guest if they think the fare is too high.

I also agree that if guest don't communicate its probably because of some experience with another stay and host was too overbearing or some guest just don't like messaging. With this guest it was really fun to share stories and hear of some of their adventures and misadventures as well. I was encouraging them to start hosting. 

IMG_3207.PNGIMG_3208.PNG

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John5097 

Geez John, with all that chit chat I would have no time left to prepare the cottage for the next guest!!!

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  I really appreciate guest giving so much detailed feedback about what they liked about their stay, especially the recommendations.

He left the place spotless. I also enjoyed hanging out with the other guest and sometime its good timing and give insights. But I know what you mean sometimes being too chatty doesnt' always go well. 

Hi John, I saw your property listing and I am very satisfied with it, can you give me your contact details? I want to know more.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pat271 

Hi Pat, I hope all is going well for you and Jim in SC.

You have hit the nail on the head Pat, that initial message from the guest tells you all you need to know about about the quality of the guest you will be potentially hosting.

You are right I have had some great gems! I know the moderators have a habit of removing screenshots of posts involving personal information but, when giving answers here on the CC authenticity carries a lot more weight than just simple words. I can print out a text like you have done Pat but, by removing identifying material like profile photos and dates I hope the moderators will allow a bit of latitude! 

Great booking message 1.png

Pat, there is nothing more I need to know, Tanya and Albert have identified themselves, complimented me on my property, given a reason for their stay and have asked nothing of me....another 5 star review guaranteed......and it was!

Here is another recent one......

Great booking message 3.png

Once again all the information I require to know the stay will go well.

But here is the opposite end of the spectrum.......

Great booking message 2.png

I was prepared to consider he may have been in an hurry and would elaborate later but, when asked to provide more information and got no response, there is no way on Gods earth I was going to accept that one. Airbnb cancelled it as a neutral cancellation on the grounds I was uncomfortable with the guests lack of communication.

But in the final analysis we do this for that great review at the end of the stay and this is what I host for.......

Uli's review b.png

I wish you and Jim a great new year Pat, all the best.

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 

Thank you, Robin. I’m sure these types of posts warm the cockles of your heart, if you’re anything like me!

I want to add that your responses contribute to the all-around good cheer as well. Kindness begets kindness!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Pat271 I have noticed when I changed from instant book to request booking the future guests provide more information.

From the begining I had always asked why they are staying. Since changing to Requesting they often mention why they want to book and who will be staying eg. their family members and ages of children. Or for weddings and birthdays and anniversary presents.

I am happy that I have changed systems, still getting bookings and I dont have to question myself Who is arriving and where from?

@Laurelle3  I think Airbnb asks the guest to mention who is coming, why they are staying, or similar.  If that’s true, it makes it even more off-putting when the guest says nothing or just one word.

I agree with your preference for Request to Book. I almost feel that a guest’s eagerness and willingness to share their plans or a little about themselves is directly proportionate to how grateful and excited they are about taking the trip, so they will be more willing to make the request. Not always, of course, and there are plenty of hosts that love Instant Book - but that’s my feeling. I might be losing business by not using Instant Book, as there are guests who don’t want to be bothered with the niceties, and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s just a personal preference on both sides.