Aweful Host. Being penalized.

Nicole2094
Level 1
Lubbock, TX

Aweful Host. Being penalized.

So... Where do I start? We booked an Airbnb that my son picked for his birthday. He liked it because it had children's rugs ( ABC, USA Map, Solar System Mat) in the same room as the ABC mat, we found a piece of art with porografic material and extreamly vulgar writting. I informed my host and his first words, "I know I'm getting a bad review". Next 2 of the heaters in the house didn't work. I informed my host and his response, "It's 90 degrees out, why do you need the heater". It has been very cold at night which is why I needed the heater. My 6-year-old and I had to sleep on the same bed and double up on blankets. I wanted to have the heater working at night. Apparently, this very basic thing was out of the question. The weeds in the backyard were up to my knees and my kids couldn't play out back. The advertising referenced backyard as an amenity. Not to mention, the title listing states "dog friendly". We get there and what do you know... Rule book says no dogs allowed, unless approved. My child with autism finds comfort in his dog... So what do you know? Dog goes home. I asked the next day and the host said the dog could come over but mad no mention of the error in listing and rule book. I told Airbnb about all of this and they are making him give a refund and informed me they would be giving penalties.  My question, anybody know what kind of penalties this merit for him? I'm curious. 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicole2094  I'm sorry you had a bad experience- the host doesn't sound so great, for sure, but then there are always 2 sides to every story. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here that your version is a straight-up one.

You got refunded and you have the opportunity to write a review to warn future guests. Seems a little over-the-top vindictive to want to know exactly what penalties the host will receive. Getting a bad review is penalty in itself. But he'll probaby get some warnings, perhaps a suspension, who knows- Airbnb doesn't give out that sort of information due to privacy concerns. Fact is, guests can ignore a host's house rules, cause damages, be rude, and Airbnb doesn't censure them at all. I can assure you they are quite punitive towards hosts and not at all towards guests.

Did you read the reviews of this place before you booked it? What did they say? I assume you narrowed down the choices to places with good ratings and good reviews before giving a child the option to choose?