Hosts able to cancel reservations until May 15

Answered!
Bonnie329
Level 2
Gouldsboro, ME

Hosts able to cancel reservations until May 15

I have questions regarding Airbnb's policy for hosts being able to cancel upcoming reservations until May 15th as outlined in one of their coronavirus articles in the Resource Center.  Here is the pathway and the paragraph from the article "Answers to your hosting questions about the coronovirus":

Resource Center

I have questions regarding Airbnb's article in their resource center under coronavirus updates, which is titled "Answers to your hosting questions about the coronavirus", that contains a paragraph stating hosts may cancel future reservations without penalty if they do so by May 15th.  Here is the paragraph:

I’ve decided to cancel an upcoming reservation. Can I?

Whether you’re unable to host or you want to open your calendar for longer stays, you have until May 15 to cancel without charges. You won’t pay a fee, have your calendar blocked, or have your Superhost status affected. To be eligible, a reservation needs to have a check-in date in 2020 and have been booked before March 15."

1- Has anyone been succesful initiating cancellations and NOT had their calendar blocked or affected their superhost status, and did the guest get a full refund?

2- If having discussions with upcoming guests results in a mutual agreement to cancel, may the host use this method to initiate the cancellation?

1 Best Answer
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Bonnie329 Yes you can cancel upcoming reservations without penalty! If you want to cancel use a browser to do so. You can choose to have your calendar blocked or not. The guest will get a full refund and the cancellation doesn’t have to be mutual to fall under these terms. As the host you can initiate and complete the cancellation without mutual agreement. 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Bonnie329 Yes you can cancel upcoming reservations without penalty! If you want to cancel use a browser to do so. You can choose to have your calendar blocked or not. The guest will get a full refund and the cancellation doesn’t have to be mutual to fall under these terms. As the host you can initiate and complete the cancellation without mutual agreement. 

Will the guest get a full refund regardless of the check-in date for the reservation being cancelled?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Yes as long as its this year