Going to a hotel

Karen-And-Brian1
Level 1
Albuquerque, NM

Going to a hotel

I made reservations back in Nov 2019, I recently canceled due to COVID19, host sent $0.00 refund on the first half of money.  Check in date was supposed to be in August. 2020.

Next time I'm going to a hotel, at least I know I'l get my money back if I cancel for circumstances out of my control.

5 Replies 5

@Karen-And-Brian1  The host does not collect money from an Airbnb booking until after your scheduled checkout date. They were, therefore, not the party that "sent" your refund (or lack thereof). They were just upholding the terms of the cancellation policy that you agreed to at the time of the booking.

Airbnb has been overriding hosts' cancellation policies as Extenuating Circumstances due to COVID19. You might have noticed that there was a limited eligibility window for the booking dates, but that Airbnb has been periodically extending it. You probably would have become eligible for a full refund if you had waited longer. 

It may well be true that a chain hotel would be a better fit for you in future trips, as the overall experience tends to be more consistent and predictable (though during the pandemic thousands of would-be hotel guests have also been unable to get refunds). But if you'd like the freedom to choose alternative accommodations, I'd suggest paying attention to the cancellation terms when you book, and consider adding a CFAR ("cancel for any reason") upgrade to your travel insurance policy.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Karen-And-Brian1  While I realize it could be a long time before COVID ceases to be a good reason not to travel, I don't think it's fair to say that an August reservation needs to be cancelled due to COVID at this point. Of course, we all have different levels of comfort around when we'll feel safe to travel again, and as far as I'm concerned, better to be safe than sorry. 

But as Andrew pointed out, the host doesn't have your money at this point, so they can't very well "refund" money they aren't in possession of. And if you booked a place with a Strict policy, and only paid half up front, you aren't due anything back because the 50% you were due back is 50% of the total reservation cost, not 50% of what you paid up-front.

Did you even dialogue with the host at all? Some hosts may be willing to refund a guest who cancels if the host is able to rebook the cancelled dates. Of course, they would only possibly be open to this if the guest asks politely and respectfully, not if the guest berates them for upholding the cancellation policy the guest agreed to when they booked.

Karen-And-Brian1
Level 1
Albuquerque, NM

Not to worry.  I did talk with the host.  Going to a hotel. End of story.

@Karen-And-Brian1   That's your choice, and it's quite fine! You're better suited to a hotel. But I don't understand why you posted on a Help Forum for peers if you don't have a question.

You're right! I'll ask someone who's a bit more courteous and professional. Have a nice day.