Bad experience from Air BnB support team who decided to cancel a reservation without discussing with the host

Shonali0
Level 1
Culemborg, Netherlands

Bad experience from Air BnB support team who decided to cancel a reservation without discussing with the host

Dear Hosts, 

I have had a pretty horrific experience recently with a guest who came into our home on a strict cancellation policy, made some photos of stains and single strands of hair by pulling out the drainage, multiple layers of bed covers in order to prove that the place was not clean and get a refund. Air BnB accepted and resolved this complain offering the guest a full refund without consulting with the host. Post which there was one call with the host and then a really long silence. I find this way of resolving issues extremely biased towards the guest. Anyone has experienced similar issues? please let me know what is the best way to take this up with Air BnB. 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Shonali0 

It happens frequently, as you can read in this community.

There is not much you can do to reverse it, as once the guest is refunded, the money is gone...

But Airbnb should consult the host before refunding.

Maybe sent your suggestion to Airbnb Feedback 

Shonali0
Level 1
Culemborg, Netherlands

Dear @Emiel1 , Thank you for your reply. It is in Air BnB refund policy that they need to consult the host. So they did something that is also against their policy. That does not require feedback but more of a serious complaint and resolution.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

As long as you know it is clean then that is the important thing. Sometimes it is easy to miss one or two minor marks or hairs .If guests could see the amount of hair they leave behind they would be horrified . I could fill cushions with it but I am not that creepy .Hairs do get caught in drains and need to be cleaned out sometimes but not by guests.It is interesting that Airbnb does not know that every guest leaves their calling card beit ,sweaty sheets 0r long hairs twining around every thing and short hairs sprinkled around . Coffee cup stains in bedrooms  ,broken and chipped cups , blood on the sheets necessitating throwing sheets out , muddy footprints . big workers who lay on beds covered in oil or soil . those who hide drugs in the fans or under the fridge or the bedside tables . those who drink more than a travelling circus . these thing all happen and the guest who prides themselves on never reading the fine print and demanding refunds is just a type that Airbnb should be aware of . Cheers Helen

Shonali0
Level 1
Culemborg, Netherlands

Dear Helen, Thank you for your reply. Yes, this was a long a term rent of two months. That's why I am surprised that they were okay with the guests pulling out the drainage, the filters basically everything that was possible to pull out in order to get a refund and Air BnB did not think it necessary to contact me. I haven't even seen all the photos even to confirm that it is my house they are talking about or that the guest did not make the mess themselves. I find this a little naive and irresponsible. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Guests are learning how to get "free" (or cheap) accommodation on Airbnb. It's unfathomable that people can be this way, but as Airbnb "evolves" their reach, it attracts more and more of this type of guest.

It would be great if Airbnb would finally begin to recognise this, but they're focused on keeping guests booking. Their whole business depends on it. 

Watch your back. Nobody else will.