Bond refund

DeeAnne2
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Bond refund

Hello, 

In need of help/advice. 
I stayed one night in an Airbnb on Nov 21-22. 

On the day of the stay, the host requested a bond due to not having more than 3 reviews on my page stating 

“ I notice you booked the apartment with an account with less than three reviews. According to our policy, we will hold a bond of $199” 

which I then paid. I’ve messaged the host and texted the number provided, however no response and then requested money through Airbnb with no response that way either. After over a month, I still haven’t been refunded or responded to, so what else can I do?

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@DeeAnne2   How did you pay the bond?  If you paid via AirBnB resolution center, keep after AirBnB for a refund.  If you paid by credit card, go to your credit card company and file a complaint with them.  If you paid cash, debit or by some other app, you may have been scammed by the host or the person who took your money.

As I understand it, hosts may not ask for funds after booking unless it is clearly set out in their listing.  I am sorry that this host has treated you badly.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@DeeAnne2 Further to @Lorna170's reply - Hosts are NOT allowed to request money outside of the Airbnb system. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@DeeAnne2  The host is NOT allowed to do this! I hope the discussion of this as well as the payment was made via the AirBnB app, but regardless, you need to report this host to AirBnB. They cannot do this! 

Make a big, big stink until you get a representative who understands what transpired, and offers a resolution. If it's a case of the host's word vs. yours, and it was a funds exchange outside of AirBnB, you may not get your money back but you definitely need to report the host and get the host sanctioned by AirBnB, if not shut down. 

I canNOT believe some people! 

SMH

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@DeeAnne2 Further to what others have said here is the Airbnb guidelines re extra charges. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/251/if-a-host-asks-for-more-money

Most notable for you is 

If a Host tries to charge you for something that wasn’t stated in the listing, the price breakdown, or their message thread, you can dispute it in the Resolution Centre.”