Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Booking change during a stay

Sarah4397
Level 1
New Zealand

Booking change during a stay

Hey everyone, 

Had guests during a long weekend, unfortunately due to personal reasons had to cancel during their stay, however I did a change of reservation to try open the days and agreed with the guests whatever nights I can get booked I'll refund them, which they agreed with. However air bnb refunded them fully, which means we lost two nights of prime income. Air bnb said that they weren't going to refund them because it was only a change on their end however they deducted the following two guests payments. I saw an article somewhere about changes during a stay follow the cancellation policy which the change was done late on a Saturday which means they shouldn't be refunded the Saturday or Sunday night but are refunded both. Air bnb have closed our chat about this and since the guests have changed it to cancelled booking, technically shouldnt be refunded anything. Hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction to get this fixed. In future I won't be so quick to be helpful and understanding 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear. If the guest wanted to cancel you should have had them cancel.

By you changing the dates you enabled the guest to get a full refund. @Sarah4397 

Expensive lesson, thank you 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Sarah4397 Your language is a bit confusing as you mention changes and cancellations both, and it isn’t entirely clear who did what. As the guests were refunded fully though, it sounds as though you may have chosen the wrong route. Best to be cautious when it comes to changes a guest wants to make. Don’t do anything on their behalf. A guest always has the ability to initiate any change, or cancel, from within their trips dashboard. 

Here are some articles you may find helpful. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1504/responding-to-a-guests-trip-change-request

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1335/what-happens-to-my-payout-if-my-guest-cancels

Thank you, sorry all over the show, a bit frustrated and an expensive lesson.