Booking

Penny379
Level 2
Lake Leelanau, MI

Booking

I had a booking for three, possible four....set to go. Now that booking has turned into a unknown number for one night and four for the second night. I can’t get the original guest to respond and clarify the issue. I hate to cancel but I’m not comfortable. We can accommodate four.

6 Replies 6
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Penny379 

The guest shows up with extra people unannounced. The host has the right to turn them away. If the experience can add additional people, that's up to the host.

In the Airbnb, hosts can add a fee for additional travelers on their listing. This fee cannot be applied once the guest has arrived and later checked out. This is just another effective measure for guests to know that they must pay extra for additional people

1. Submit a change request through to the Airbnb Resolution Center after the guest checks out
  2. File The request to notified the guest and asked to respond. If they ignore or decline your bid, you can tell Airbnb to intervene after 72 hours. So long as you have an extra person charge and photo. Take photos of the event and the home conditions the guest left, present to the claim
  3. Red flag the guest profile and feedback an honest review to warn another host

Airbnb help article, as a link below,

What is the Resolution Center? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Penny379 @If this was an Instant Booking, you can cancel penalty free citing lack of communication from guest regarding fluctuating guest count. Best to contact CS to do that. If it was a request to book, you can still contact CS to get them to intervene and try to get them do a neutral cancellation, for the same reason.  This guest is throwing up some red flags. 

Use your house rules to better advantage, to cut down on this type of situation happening in future. Use more explicit language regarding max occupancy/unauthorized guests, and require the booking guest to submit to you the full names of all guests staying, at time of booking. Feel free to peruse my house rules for example. It really helps a lot. Also make certain guests are actually clicking through to read your unique house rules, because I can tell you that the overwhelming majority do not. 

@Colleen253  I have never had any luck with getting CS to do a neutral cancellation.  Only last week I had a request to book from a landlord wanting to book on behalf of her tenants.  I contacted CS to confirm this was a third party booking and not allowed [of course the person first told me third party bookings were okay, and only changed his tune when I requested that in writing].  I said since it was quite obvious from the messages that this was a third party booking that I wanted Airbnb to decline the request so it didn't affect my stats.  No go.  I also had asked the person to withdraw their request, but of course they couldn't be bothered w/that and so I had to decline it.  The same thing happened a week prior, a guest wanted to 'cancel' their request due to parking but never got around to withdrawing the request so I had to decline it.  SO ANNOYING.

@Mark116 Yes, any dealings with CS are sure to cause all manner of annoyance. Sometimes it takes several tries before you get a rep who will be on board with what needs to be done. This is why putting in measures to prevent having situations arise where you have to contact CS is the best way to operate on Airbnb. @Penny379 

@Penny379 @Colleen253 @Mark116 

it doesn't matter if the host decline, the guest withdraws or CS does that, it will most probably affect the listing's search status. So just decline if you don't want to host them.

hi,

your listing should be set to the limit of the amount of guests, otherwise you can end up having 200 coming