Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Can a host make a guest move to another shared room mid-stay?

Loren2301
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Can a host make a guest move to another shared room mid-stay?

Guest here. I'm currently in a room designated as shared in a house with multiple shared and private rooms. I was shown the room I would be moving into upon arrival (the listing had multiple rooms pictured).

I'm male and a female arrived today to move into my room. They didn't tell her it was occupied, much less that it would be mixed gender. She's not keen on sharing with a male, so they want to move me to another room that has another guy in it. The room they want to move me to is certainly a downgrade. Smaller, far less natural light, and has had an ant problem pretty recently.

My question is: does the host have grounds to require me to move to a different room mid-stay? Or would they have had to stipulate in the listing that I could possibly have to move rooms during my stay? (I'm halfway through a 1-month stay).

Thank you!

15 Replies 15

@Lisa723  I would imagine they're in violation of more than covid related orders, since it appears to be an actual rooming house, or micro-rooming house situation, which is going to be, I thought, a different set of regulations than a STR in  a shared apartment.