Cancelation refunds

Brenda425
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Cancelation refunds

Hi All

I have had two bookings that were booked months ago, one for a conference and another pleasure. I reached out to both bookings to see if they were still planning on making the trip and was told by the one coming for a conference that because of Covid the conference was canceled and they would have to cancel but would be coming for the conference the following year. ( The booking was for mid July)

The second guest said they were still planning on making the trip, this was May 8, I just received a cancelation notification saying they were cancelling and they wanted a full refund as although this was covid related two of their party were seniors and had been advised not to travel ( the booking is in August) I suggested they reach out to Airbnb under " Extenuating circumstances " and provide documentation from the doctors for a refund. They feel I should give a full refund without any further action on their part, I have a strict cancellation policy.

My question is although I don't need to give a full refund should I? I have given full refunds to everyone that has canceled so far, and that is everyone, all my bookings canceled. I run a B&B and offer two different Airbnbs, this is my sole source of income. I want to do the right thing but am getting tired of always absorbing the loss especially in the last case where I reached out to the guest on May 8th and they confirmed they would be coming and then messaged me after they canceled asking why they were not getting a full refund because they were cancelling more then 14 days before their scheduled stay even though my cancellation policy clearly stated that they would only be entitled to 50% refund.

Sorry for the long post but I am really looking for some guidance here, I want to the right thing but I am tired of always rolling over and "saying oh that's ok, sure here's a full refund I don't need to pay my bills" At the same time should people lose %50 when they are giving me over a months notice? HELP! Some advice please.

2 Replies 2

@Brenda425 Well, you chose the Strict cancellation policy for a reason. The guests accepted the cancellation terms when they booked, even though they could have opted for a listing with more flexible terms, so in my opinion you're not under any ethical obligation to waive the charges. 

I've lost a fair chunk of money this year over thwarted travel plans as well, but undeniably this is money I was already prepared to part with one way or other anyway. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Brenda425 🙂

What I would do is I would tell the guests that it is unfortunately very unlikely that Airbnb will extend the Covid Extenuating Circumstances Policy as the booking is in August. I would then offer them a refund should new guests book some of the days/all days (I did that before Covid as well). That is fair and square and you shouldn't feel bad about it at all.