Mistakes of Airbnb's Customer Support Staff or Airbnb's Managementtrained them to cheat hosts???

Mistakes of Airbnb's Customer Support Staff or Airbnb's Managementtrained them to cheat hosts???

I had 1 guest booked in November 2019 to stay in July 2020. He canceled in March and per my Strict Cancellation policy, guest would be refunded 50%. I did receive an email in March confirming that 50% right after guest canceled.

On 28 May, more than 2 months from the day guest canceled his booking, Airbnb's CS contacted me asking if I could consider to fully refund to the guest, I said NO, and that CS sent me a message confirming 1 more time that guest would only be refunded per my cancellation policy.

Today, I received 1 new message from that CS telling me that guest would be fully refunded because he had sufficient documents?

Is it a joke Airbnb??? 

@Lizzie, @Stephanie: is it a joke??? 

3 Replies 3
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I assume the guest's booking subsequently fell into the EC policy timescales, hence the refund. Not much you can do about it, @Vy6

No matter what, guests must submit relevant documents within 14 days after they cancel bookings. In this case, that guest submitted after 2 months since he canceled his booking, and was accepted. By accepting that, Airbnb is against their own rules, and that action of fully refund is illegal.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As much as I feel for you, there are no laws to be broken here, so it isn't illegal per se, @Vy6. Airbnb make the rules, and they can (often) break them too...on a whim.