Cancellation guest vs host and their consequences

Josephus1
Level 2
Villard-sur-Doron, France

Cancellation guest vs host and their consequences

Hi everybody,

If the host cancels, you get a notification on your profile. If a guest does it, they should get the same notification, but they don’t. At least not my guests who cancelled. Why would Airbnb do this? Why the double standard, aren’t the hosts eligible to be protected in the same way the guests are?

CU, Josephus 

5 Replies 5
Josephus1
Level 2

PS

the airbnb support team says it is always marked on the profiles of guests, except for special circumstances. But I have never seen a warning like this on a profile, neither have two other hosts who live next to me... neither is it marked on the profiles of guests who cancelled at my place without these special circumstances 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

In the eyes of Airbnb, there is a difference between a host cancelling and a guest cancelling. Guests can cancel whenever they want, subject to the terms of the policy in force. This isn’t considered unusual, nor a violation, in Airbnb’s eyes, and they aren’t likely to punish the guest by leaving a “black mark” on their profile.

When a host cancels, however, Airbnb considers it a violation, which is why there are so many penalties and black marks applied for doing so. I presume this is why they find it necessary to put a black mark in a host’s profile when a host cancels. 

Either party can cancel and perhaps qualify for forgiveness under Airbnb’s “Extenuating Circumstances”  policy. I assume that’s what Airbnb means when it refers to “special circumstances”.

As far as Airbnb telling you that they do leave cancellation statements on a guest’s profile, the current CS staff is seemingly unaware of their own policies these days.  They clearly have not been trained properly. They are learning on the job, so to speak, as each issue arises.  

So these days, I tend to approach the CS staff with the attitude that whatever my issue is, we are likely both seeing it for the first time, and my Airbnb knowledge base is probably more comprehensive than theirs. It’s not as it should be, but there you have it.

Josephus1
Level 2

It’s really weird, when you ask a question, like; why are the cancellations not marked on the profiles of my previous guests? First they want to call you. When you refuse and ask them to answer in writing they just ignore the question.... 

@Josephus1  Sounds like an agent who does not know (and is unwilling to research) the answer to your question, but does not want to admit that in writing.

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

The Airbnb support team doesn't make a comment on the reviews of guest's who cancel, but they also will go out of their way and contact hosts to give the guest a full refund on a strict cancellation policy.   I recently had a guest who asked about canceling because of fires in the west.  We didn't have any in our area, so the guest said ok.  Then a day later they inquired to cancel again, and Airbnb support also asked if I would give a last minute full refund.  When I questioned support why they wanted to cancel again, they said the guest had a change of plans.  Airbnb support should be notifying hosts of compulsive cancellers not assisting them.  I held up my strict cancel policy and the reservation.