Cancelling the 72 hour booking buffer

Peter2744
Level 1
Dewsbury, United Kingdom

Cancelling the 72 hour booking buffer

Can anyone explain why the 72 hour booking buffer option has been removed, without any explanation, rationale or notice?

9 Replies 9
Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

@Peter2744  Because ABB owners/management can do whatever they wish without any explanation to those who keep their business afloat. Unfortunately it is up to us to fathom the why.

Chin up ol chap, it will only get better

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Peter2744,

Although it wasn't explicitly stated when the enhanced cleaning protocol was rolled out, the 72 hour booking buffer was set to end on July 31.  Are you saying that the option is already gone?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Peter2744 

The world and what's going on is constantly evolving.

ABB need to also remove the 24 hr buffer they have put on our calendars and leave the responsibility on us how we operate in each individual country.

The blanket approach across the world on all our calendars to have a 72 & 24 hour buffer whilst a precautionary measure , are part of the Public Health Act in general terms where people have an Infectious Disease, not where they don't.

Every country & region has it's own standards and the blanket approach everyone has an Infectious Disease doesn't fit with General Medical health of people wherever we are.

As an example, in New Zealand at the moment, those diagnosed with Covid19 symptoms, appear to be born  in the same countries as those who are on the WHO Executive committee....try figure that one out.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Peter2744,

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have rentals in both St. Lucia, West Indies and Atlanta in the US, and Airbnb hasn't applied a 24 hour or 72 hour buffer to any of them.  I still have the option to choose same day reservations.  I have selected 48 hours in between stays, because I want to take my time to clean the space.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Debra300 @Helen427 @Lynette57 

@Peter2744 seems to be correct. I had opted into this, and now the option has disappeared, and the badge has disappeared from my listings, without any notice.

@Airbnb WTH?

Mel5698
Level 1
Rutherglen, United Kingdom

@Peter2744 

My response to Airbnb removing the 72hr buffer

Dear Airbnb,

Once again, you are taking control away from your Hosts!!!

Covid-19 has not gone away - indeed in some areas it is having a second peak.

Part of the protection provided for HOSTS is the ability to have a 72hr period between changeover, REGARDLESS of any cleaning regime invented by Airbnb. The 72hr period is backed by SCIENCE and should be a recommendation for hosts, whether individual hosts wish to follow that guidance is up to them.

It is NOT up to Airbnb to dictate whether the scientific evidence should be disregarded - to do so sets Airbnb up to seen as facilitating the prospect of putting their hosts at risk, the possibility of putting guests at risk and could ultimately have Airbnb as being accused of being a corporate super spreader!

Remember, it is travel that has been a MAJOR reason for the international spread of Covid-19 and has caused thousands of unnecessary deaths and grief for people. Again IT HAS NOT GONE AWAY AND THERE IS NO TREATMENT OR CURE.

So, show some responsibility and class - it is up to your hosts whether they feel there should be a 72hr buffer between bookings, this is what could keep your HOSTS safe. Again, without hosts, Airbnb has nothing. Leave the buffer as a selectable option.

Yours sincerely, as a responsible host,

Mel Robinson.
Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

@Peter2744 @Mel5698 @Lisa723 @Debra300 @Helen427    Yes, I started another thread about this earlier and agree AirBnB have made a big mistake taking off the 72 hour buffer option. 

The people who have booked my place for August asked for the buffer specifically and this is why they booked but I then had to manually block the days of the calendar.  

Now I've set up the "preparation time" to the maximum offered which is currently only 2 days either side of a booking but I will have to block off the 3rd day manually and just hope nobody gets in there before I do and book before I block!   AirBnB should have more block off day options in the preparation time.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^^ "AirBnB should have more block off day options in the preparation time."

That is an excellent suggestion.

As to ~Airbnb~ be the one to micro-manage people's calendar that is like asking them to play Big Brother, when each individual can do so all on their own to their heart's content.

I didn't think 'Science' is an absolute concept;  just consider the total opposite stands surrounding Chloroquine during this pandemic to see just how chaotic scientists as a group could be. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Agree @Fred13 

Provide us with more options with the right to say an out right no as a choice without preferential treatment to those who wish to exercise the option to opt in.

I wonder what David Bowie would have said about "scientists" factoring into account his hit, "Is there life on Mars?".

Scientists, like archaeologists, need to read and learn from factual history instead of jumping to conclusions.

Those of you who intended to travel to New Zealand,  as a citizen / resident or to visit in general terms who are wanting answers why we went into lockdown of our borders & currently remain that way should ask for an official request of Ayesha VERRALL'S telecommunication records to a wide variety of people - she's cited in an article in STUFF media in April 2020 about this & what her perception was of events happening in other countries that are independent of NZ , that lead up to the "chain of events" and subsequent, as it's in part her doing, that has resulted in the consequences we are all facing, including economic & wider public health harm.

Scientists "hypothesis" of others medical matters of private individuals in another country will always be questionable in light of the fact they are not those person's Medical Practitioner.

If they want to really improve the health of others they should  go to the countries that need hands on help,  take paycuts & would never ever be asking for massive handouts from the public's purse.