Cancelling

Answered!
Stephanie2214
Level 1
Honley, United Kingdom

Cancelling

A guest cancelled 5 days prior to booking by sending a message to me. This as within the cancellation policy guidelines so she does not need to pay. However I am not sure how to cancel this booking. At the time, I cancelled it straight away but I think she had to confirm this (which she didn't) now it is 2 days away and I neither I or she cannot cancel this booking without a penalty. 

Please can someone help guide me what to do here?

1 Best Answer
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Stephanie2214 … No no no, never ever cancel on behalf of the guest as you will be penalised by Airbnb.  Also, if a guest wants to cancel, do ask them to do it sooner rather than later to mitigate both their and your losses depending upon your policy.  Keep everything on Airbnb messaging.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Stephanie2214 

The guest must cancel the reservation, the attached cancellation policy will automacally calculate the refund (if any).

If a host cancels a reservation, then the host will always receive penalties from Airbnb !

The guest does not have to confirm a cancellation by the host.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Stephanie2214 … No no no, never ever cancel on behalf of the guest as you will be penalised by Airbnb.  Also, if a guest wants to cancel, do ask them to do it sooner rather than later to mitigate both their and your losses depending upon your policy.  Keep everything on Airbnb messaging.

Thankyou for your reply. I have now spoken with air b&b and they have advised the same. I wasn't sure on the procedures here but I have now asked the guest to cancel this booking themselves. 

@Stephanie2214  Then what do you mean by "At the time I cancelled it straight away"? Did you cancel it or not?

I would strongly suggest that you take some time to read through all of the articles for hosts in the Help section of the main Airbnb site. There's a lot to be aware of, and you don't want to be caught out doing something that  you will be penalized for.