[Celebration] A story of hospitality, understanding, and support

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

[Celebration] A story of hospitality, understanding, and support

This article is a part of a series about building connection through hospitality

Understanding guests’ needs through communication: I find that using a friendly tone helps guests feel more comfortable during their stay. When they feel comfortable, they often share not only their travel plans, but also any concerns they have. As a Host, I always try to be kind and ask open-ended questions that invite my guests to share details with me.

I remember a guest who stayed at my place because her husband had a stroke while on a work trip in Tenerife, where I have a listing. It was important for me to understand that her visit was not for a vacation but for a health emergency. I provided her with information about local resources to try to ease the situation for her a bit. If I hadn’t known the reason for her trip, I might have suggested places to visit, such as beaches or leisure activities.

Preparing my listing as if I were hosting a friend:  I always think of guests as friends who are coming to visit. This usually generates excitement and makes me focus on small details that my guests typically appreciate.

For example, a couple from Canada  were checking in on New Year’s Day, after traveling for more than 20 hours. I knew many supermarkets and restaurants would be closed. So, I thought a welcome basket with a few snacks would help them feel immediately at home. I messaged them ahead of time to find out their food preferences. It was a good thing I had. Not only was their flight delayed, but they got lost on their way to my place. They finally arrived at midnight, tired and hungry. The basket of goodies was very much appreciated. On their next stay at my place, I took the same approach. This time, they were traveling with their dog, TchiTchi,so I added pet items to the welcome basket. The  couple appreciated my thoughtful gesture so much.

This couple’s second trip was with TchiTchi, who didn’t want to stay alone at home while they traveled. So, TchiTchi was welcome at home too!This couple’s second trip was with TchiTchi, who didn’t want to stay alone at home while they traveled. So, TchiTchi was welcome at home too!

Connecting with guests during their stay:
Guests have asked me questions beyond the typical logistical ones. They often express interest in our life and our family. For me, it’s a signal that they want to establish a relationship beyond the simple act of renting my house. It prompts me to reflect and share a moment with them, perhaps a talk over coffee. This creates feelings of belonging and connection.

Annie and Shok visit us once or twice a year from the U.K. We always meet for tea, wine, or dinner at a guachinche (a typical restaurant in Tenerife). One time, we even celebrated Annie’s birthday together. We talk about our lives and get to know each other better during these gatherings. I recently had the opportunity to travel to London with my husband, Eduardo, and we took a detour to visit Annie and Shok at their house. They had prepared everything with love, as if we were family. This was a gift for me, because my parents live far away in Argentina.

We visited Shok and Annie at their house in the U.K. countryside.We visited Shok and Annie at their house in the U.K. countryside.

I’m trying to convince Annie to list their house on Airbnb while they are traveling.I’m trying to convince Annie to list their house on Airbnb while they are traveling.

Treating all guests with empathy: It’s important as a Host to understand that guests have varying needs and react differently to challenging situations. I try to approach every situation with an open mind and make myself available to assist guests if they need and want help.

I’m reminded of a young French couple who, years ago, arrived at our place in tears because they’d been robbed at the beach. They’d left their car unlocked with all their belongings, including clothes, money, and passports inside.

My husband and I did not hesitate for a second to offer them a hug. We shared how a similar thing had happened to us as young travelers and how we coped with it. This seemed to help them understand that even challenging moments can be transformed into meaningful experiences. We loaned them some clean clothes and money for their upcoming excursions. We also went with them to the French Embassy to report their passports stolen and get new ones. My hope is that, when they look back on their trip, what they remember most is our kindness. 

Understanding guests’ needs and responding with kindness and empathy, even in difficult moments, allows me to provide great hospitality. 

What do you think? How have you gone above and beyond to help your guests?

17 Replies 17
Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Beautifully written Daniel, your wonderful article truly captures the spirit of being a host. It brought back memories of when my husband and I used to host medical students. One story of a student stands out. He told us he was going for a walk, and as time went by, I found myself anxiously peering out the window like a concerned mother, waiting for his return. Eventually, when it began to rain, we drove around the neighborhood and found him taking cover in a nearby park. His surprise and joy at seeing was undeniable. For me hosting isn’t just a business, it's about making our guests feel welcomed but more like they're part of our family. I believe in extending the same care and concern as I would hope someone would for my own son in a similar situation.

Daniel1651

Dear @Dolly36 , what a beautiful message you leave us with this most beautiful anecdote ❤️

As you say, being a host goes beyond renting a house and earning an income, being a host is something that is innate and that often makes you (like you wrote) feel worried about knowing if your guest is well.

I can already imagine the happy face of your young guest when he saw that you recognized him and cared about him 😍

Thanks Dolly. Always inspires. I admire you a lot!

Rachel1200
England, United Kingdom

@Rachel1200 I am moved by your story Daniel, and it’s amazing to hear how you go above and beyond to help and connect with your guests

Daniel1651

Thanks @Rachel1200

I am sure that this testimony is just a sample of everything that we hosts do around the world every day.  Sharing these stories inspires each other to continue doing our best to create a more hospitable world ❤️

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Daniel1651 thank you for this post, super rich of attention, support and sensititvity actions towards people you meet

I love your approach in hearing needs from your guests, open mind, kindness and empathy.

You and your husband are an example, I try to do the same 

Daniel1651

What can I say, @Claudia331  You inspire us every day and thanks to you we are encouraged to share these beautiful stories ❤️ Hosts inspire each other!

Undraa1
Level 2
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Thanks, @Daniel1651 , for sharing your wonderful story with us.

It demonstrates how kindness transcends mere renting.

I'd love to say that Airbnb is not just a business; it is more than hospitality 🙂

Daniel1651

I totally agree with you, @Undraa1  For me Airbnb is synonymous with hospitality and belongings. And we must never lose that philosophy!

Any company can offer houses for rent, but not everyone can provide hospitality and make us all feel like we belong wherever we go ❤️

I send you greetings from Tenerife to Mongolia and I wish you the best!

Hugs, 

Daniel.-

Thanks @Daniel1651 🙂  Greetings from Mongolia 🙂

@Daniel1651 @Undraa1 In these challenging times, people are traveling for different reasons. It is important to understand their needs and see what we can do to ease their burden.

Daniel1651

Exactly, @Selline0  Asking open-ended questions to find out how to improve their experience or making yourself available if they need anything is a first step to showing empathy and being able to help our guests if necessary ❤️

Hugs from Tenerife to Kenya!

Daniel.-

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Your celebration story and experiences are wonderful @Daniel1651, thank you so much for sharing. 😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Daniel1651

Happy celebration week, @Rebecca !

Hugs from Tenerife ❤️

@Daniel1651 We recently had guests who couldn't stay in there home due to a house fire.   Our friends have children at their same school and knew about them due to a go fund me page.   We tried to accommodate their every need.  We helped them get back part of a video game they left at our home.   They are wonderful people who needed help.  We donated to their go fund me page to help get them back on their feet.   The Go Fund Me page for them has raised over $30K so far.  It felt good to help them outside of just a donation but by also hosting them at a reasonable rate.