Changes to Super Host Benefits

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Changes to Super Host Benefits

Priority Placement in search results   has been removed and replaced with an obtuse  Welcome More Guests  message which reads " Attention from guests can lead to more bookings".  Can any please explain to me what that statement means ? 

Susan
19 Replies 19
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

@Susan990  The priority placement "benefit" was never a real thing. AirBNB cookies made it appear to you that your listing had high placement. But only to you. 

I've even seen my listing on an AirBNB pop-up ad. For 1/2 second, I thought, "Wow, how cool!?" before I remembered that there's no way in heck AirBNB is featuring my listing in one of their ads.

I confirmed this "priority placement" sham one day when I did a search. First I did a regular search in my area. I was placed #5 on the first page. Then I switched to "Incognito viewing" and performed the identical search. My 4.95* listing was on the 5th page below people with 4.5* ratings, slumlord hotels, and people in a completely different county 25 miles from the center of town. 

I just did a search today.  Here I have pulled up my local AirBNBs. As you can see, a top listing (#2) has a 4.68* rating and is not a Super Host.  I am listed #11 in this search below this 4.68* rating. But at least I appear to be on the first page.  Appearances are deceiving...

Stephanie365_0-1657646072303.png

But when I switch to "incognito", I'm not on the first page at all. There are, however, THREE listings at 4.71* or below who are on the first page. But my 4.95* doesn't make the cut.

Where am I? I'm on page 4. My listing is #62 from the top. Numerous non-Super Hosts have placement above me. How's that for "priority placement". 

Stephanie365_1-1657646540337.png

This is solid proof that the "priority placement" spiel is grade A 100% bull poop. It's a carrot they dangle in front of you to make you toe the line and be a good little soldier.

@Stephanie365  you are 100%, placement has nothing to do with our rating or status. I think it depends mostly on how many people click on some listing. More clicks - higher placement. So, if someone accepts 1 nighters, last min bookings, pets and children, the calendar is available from now to eternity and has low prices then of course this listing will be higher.

But, also, it seems listings are rotating constantly bc I may not have any booking for days and then I get a few bookings and inquiries the same afternoon

@Stephanie365 

I agree that cookies have a lot to do with it. My listing is never in the same place, with 5 stars and 9 years of Superhost. I count on guests to find me by a combination of my photos, location and my listing title. We are in one of the most popular destination areas in California, and it is justifiably world famous.  Most of the hotel operators  are all booked solid, at any price. 

@Stephanie . I do incognitos too and find much the same . I have tried to figure out why but just imagine that it is a 'user pays model' the Premium host experience . Who knows ?We have had an influx of units and other multiple listings from entrepreneurial hosts and unless there is something unique or you have a gimmick of some type you will not be coming up in a straight forward way or a fair way . In other words the guests are not being shown all listings. I see new listings all the time that I have never seen before that have been operating in my area for months. How is this possible ?I do not get it .H

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

@Stephanie365  This is all very true information!

ESPECIALLY the part of allowing listings in neighboring towns to appear next to mine! It makes absolutely NO SENSE that a listing 25-50 miles out of town appears next to my listing.