Corona virus outbreak

Kathleen630
Level 1
Valenzuela, PH

Corona virus outbreak

Hi we have a reservation on feb 13-19 in Hong Kong. Can we cancel our booking and get full refund because of the outbreak from China? How to do this? My host won't allow me to rebook and asks me to cancel to get 50% refund.

8 Replies 8

Same here.. our trip to HK is on feb 15-19.. i called airbnb support to request for full refund due to coronavirus outbreak in China.. HK has already announced emergency. Disneyland and ocean park closed indefinitely. But they said they allow refund for mainland china for now 😞 the host told me 50% refund or rebook in Mar is the best he can offer.. i think this is unfair, being charged for just wanting to be safe especially my baby and parents are coming on this trip. The money for this trip was a result of saving for over a year 😞

Can you claim on your travel insurance?

@Christine2488 so, your host should bear the financial penalty, instead of you? As @Alex-and-Vaughan0 said travel insurance is a great option.

Brendan153
Level 3
Australia

Hong Kong has no travel restrictions. It's not "mainland China." Be really careful to not couple the two when you are here, the locals won't like it lol.

Only one country has blocked Hong Kong citizens into their country (Philippines) - but that was an overreach. Vietnam was the other, but they reversed the decision and recognised the difference.

Hong Kong is safe for now, but that could change closer to your trip. It's a shame about Disneyland/Ocean Park but there is still lots to do here and it's an interesting time to come.

That could all change in 10 days, and if so I would presume Airbnb would extend the EC policy to cover HK too.

If you do come, bring masks and sanitizer. Not to scare you but you don't want to be looked at for not wearing one. They aren't hugely effective...but you won't be able to buy any here as they have been sold out for over a week.

I just had an instant book for a family coming from China.  I called Airbnb and they cancelled the reservation without penalty to me.  They blocked the days so I can't re-rent them.  They also rebooked the family with another host.    I asked if they told the other host about the family coming from China and the answer was no.  All it will take is one neighbor seeing that Airbnb is allowing guests into the neighborhood for the whole thing to blow up. I would hate for my neighborhood to shut down all  Airbnb rentals because of this.  As of today at 5pm the CDC is recommending all travelling from China to US to self quarantine  for 14 days.  How is that possible for the host?  Are we supposed to accommodate them for 14 days?  

@Mike-and-Tanya0 "...without penalty to me.  They blocked the days so I can't re-rent them." If they blocked your calendar, that is a penalty. Hoping Airbnb gets itself together on this-- it seems to be all over the place.

Has airbnb been helpful???

I am not feeling particularly safe right now receiving guests but airbnb is not responding to my inquires.  

Jacob432
Level 1
New York, NY

Now that it has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization, everyone should qualify for the full refund (although I am sure AirBnB is going to try to fight it).