Coronavirus | Staying safe and prevention

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Coronavirus | Staying safe and prevention

Hello All,

Hope you are well. 
Firstly, I would like to say that my heart goes out to all affected from the Coronavirus disease, from those physically, through to those affected economically by it. I truly am so, so sorry and ask that you stay safe. 

Having spoken with someone I adore and respect wholeheartedly but know has a tendency to worry... I wanted to take this opportunity to share a very useful source of information regarding prevention methods. 

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

All credit to the World Health Organisation. 

I hope whoever actually reads this is given a sense of security and comfort, as knowledge is ultimately power. 

Stay safe everyone. 
Yadira

(a former healthcare professional) 

32 Replies 32
Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Kevin1322  What people are (rightly) concerned about is having to self quarantine for 14 days.  The Qld government here in Aus recently requested 3,000 people to do just that because of contact or proximity to someone else with the virus.  Read about it here

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/live-coverage-latest-updates-on-the-coronav...

@Sharon1014  looks like your Government is being pretty responsible and playing safe. 

But in the UK most of us are completely baffled by people hoarding toilet rolls yet only stocking a couple of week's food.

In our village shop a four pack of toilet rolls is £1 on special offer, and hand cleanser £1.

It must be the diet they are on elsewhere 🤷

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Kevin1322  The problem with loo paper is that it is bulky to store in large quantities.  Supermarkets normally only keep enough for 1-2 days supply.  It only takes 100 people to buy 2 x 20 roll packs and suddenly you are out of stock.  People also have the same problem, not enough space to store big bulky items so it is bought more frequently.  Enter stage left - 14 days of home quarantine.  No going to the shops (or anywhere else), no having anyone visit your home.

As a host, you should also stock up on anti-bacterial fabric spray and use it on all bed linen and fabric furniture, in addition to using other disinfectant for all hard surfaces.

Linen and fabric sanitizerLinen and fabric sanitizer

It's really important to understand that a product must be anti-viral i.e. contain at least 60% alcohol. There are many "anti-bacterial" products that contain no alcohol whatsoever, and will not be effective against viruses. 

Hand washing is best with ordinary soap and water. 

@Kevin1322 Symptoms don't even include toilet useage! 

Reports out of China indicate some people experience gastrointestinal symptoms (maybe 5% of cases). Something not widely reported in the media at the moment.

Situation is the same with some disinfectants- Ethanol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide.

Antiseptic wipes too.

Things are almost back to normal. Shops are opening at 8:00 and from 8 to 10:30 only people 60+ are allowed to enter inside. After 10:30-all other.

John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Yadira22 Many thanks for posting the link, the details of which I found most informative, even if the WHO information was from a time within 2019 when the virus wasn't as virulent outside China as it is at present.

Having said that, the main advice and ways to protect oneself against being affected remain moreorless the same, even though there does appear to be some conflict as to the advice provided as to the wearing of face masks! - or to put that another way, in the first section mention is made to wearing one when caring for others, as well as to when one has a cough or cold, yet in the final section, it is stated that if one has a cough or cold, one should always wear a face mask!

Personally I would suggest that a face mask shouldn't really need to be worn unless one attends a gathering of people (such as at a Concert, the Cinema, the Theatre, or - if having had an accident - either a Doctor's waiting room, or the A&E department of a Hospital; but any decision would have to be taken before entering such an area, besides which, a lot of what one chooses to do is more a case of weighing up the situation.

I did like the "cards" relating to what to do/what to say to both adults and children when either are stressed or panicking due to the various forms of information coming from different organisations, both official and non-official, but with so many Governments of the world having failed to recognise the verocity of the virus (apart from, that is China) the main source of up-to-the-minute information, as well as probably the most accurate details, especially as to what individuals can do, just had to be the World Health Organisation, and their website, as advocated by @Yadira22  - to whom I am most grateful for her timely advice.

Possibly not the place to ask the question, but hopefully now that the USA has started to have its own citizens affected by the virus, one has to ask at what point would Hosts' have to both shut down their accommodation to Guests, and what then would happen to/with Bookings already accepted?

My question is not one said in panic, nor by any worry that I might have (I don't have either) but as Hostsvwe all have to not only be realistic, but also have a "Plan B" in place "just in case"

Indeed, I would hope that Airbnb, as well as all other OTAs would have such a plan, even though (should anything happen to affect those reliant on Airbnb (and/or others) there would be excellent advice and guidance updated on a daily basis.

One other point I would make, is that as Hosts, we are all responsible for the welfare of our Guests', but how do we ensure that after one lot of Guests' have left, our accommodations will be 100% free from anything related viruses?

I do possess a Steam Machine, so in theory that could be used throughout our property to (try to) kill all germs (and viruses, should steam actually kill off same), but then, not everyone has such a machine, whilst using one throughout one's property may mean that once one booking vacates, the next booking might have to wait until everything is considered to be "safe" for them to enter to stay.

Whilst some of what I say may turn out to be completely irrelevant, one does - as mentioned previously - have to have a backup plan in place, whilst for all those Hosts who have a husband/wife/partner who isn't a part of your business, I wonder what you would say if I asked whether all details about your business, together with details about who is booked in and when, together with not only their contact details, but a relevant contact number/email address for support at Airbnb, is already in place for them (ie your other half) to contact the relevant people to advise and be advised what to do in the circumstance?

Night-night everyone!

Romain278
Level 1
Sarrola-Carcopino, France

"Possibly not the place to ask the question, but hopefully now that the USA has started to have its own citizens affected by the virus, one has to ask at what point would Hosts' have to both shut down their accommodation to Guests, and what then would happen to/with Bookings already accepted?"

The answer to your question is: free cancellation for guests, which means that a lot of us (including myself) who have invested money in the apartment(s) they rent may not afford to pay for their credit. And insurance won't help (as usual).

"We" all worshipped globalization. Here's my therory: the virus will change global trade patterns forever. And maybe for the better...

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Well, may I say, as a host, we are taking normal precautions that we already do for hygiene and cleaning. Nothing of note will change, as we already do the best that we can, after each guest.

As Airbnb hosts, we are travelling in April. With stays in Singapore, stopover in Doha, Lisbon, Porto through to Santiago de Compostela. Trains through Spain to France and flight from Bordeaux to Edinburgh. Driving around Scotland staying at Airbnbs. Back on a plane through Helsinki for a day. Singapore again then home to Darwin....  (PS. We have friends house sitting for us for home safety)

So with no Covid-19 cover on most travel insurances, we will be dodging and choosing the best way to enjoy our travels, without hosts cancelling on us, or us cancelling on them, if nearing hot spots.

We will be having flu vaccinations before we depart; but we can only prepare for the worst, taking medical and hygiene supplies with us..... Sure it is worrying, but I’m not going to stop living, because of it. Meanwhile, I could be hit by a bus tomorrow, making my travel list in my head. 

Stay positive people! 🦋🌻

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 That sounds amazing! Can I come? Please- I promise I am small, barely 5’3” and can probably fit in your carry on!! 

either way- enjoy!!! 💓💓💓

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As far as reduced bookings go, I think that hosts are being hit by a double whammy- long before the coronavirus surfaced, hosts were reporting, back about 6-8 months ago, a significant drop in bookings, worldwide. Hosts in my little town, who normally had full occupancy during the tourist season, were saying they were getting very few bookings. So bad press after the Orinda and other party deaths, bad press around scam listings, guests getting fed up with high service fees, the platform beingtaken over by hotels and property management companies with hundreds of listings, and now a pandemic and intense virus, all on top of each other. Not a hopeful time for hosts.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Someone sent me a meme yesterday that said "Wash your hands like you've been chopping Jalapenos and need to change your contacts...."

To be sure, this is the most over hyped pandemic in my somewhat long life, its not smallpox, its generally a very bad cold for most people and it will become part of our regular scheduled cold/ flu and other prevention plan very soon.  Its a challenge for us as Airbnb-ers but no more so than a guest showing up with type A or B without warning.  We just gotta clean our places and spaces like they all have something we dont want to contract and share with others

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Melodie-And-John0 , if you wonder if it's over hyped, ask yourself one simple question. Would china risk it's economy on an insignificant thing? They would not.