Coupon Non-Refundable Issue

Ramiro90
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

Coupon Non-Refundable Issue

Hello good morning,

I'm a Superhost now for a few years, and Airbnb usually issues a coupon as a reward for being a Superhost.

This week I made a reservation and had to cancel it due to Covid issues, and the host policy was total refund until the day before of travelling.

I was surprised to see that after cancelling it, the coupon showed as "redeemed" on my account. Tried to contact support about this case, and they've informed me that: "If you cancel, coupons are not refundable
: Refunds are based on the host’s cancellation policy, and we can’t restore or reissue a coupon you redeemed in the past."

Well... This doesn't make sense to me and it's totally unfair. I cancelled the reservation because I couldn't travel.

If one loses the coupon upon cancelling, it's like Airbnb is charging me $100 for the cancellation.

Anybody had the same issue? Any workaround?

How can we do something to dispute / complaint about this?

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies 10
Pablo629
Level 10
La Paz, Bolivia

dear @Ramiro90  I understand your case, but I think you cant ask to exchange/change your gift with money (refund means it). Covid issues are not considered forced causes. Cancellation cases are handled by a rule:

• If you cancel, coupons are not refundable
: Refunds are based on the host’s cancellation policy, and we can’t restore or reissue a coupon you redeemed in the past.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/160/how-do-coupons-work?_set_bev_on_new_domain=1631382838_MmUxYm...

Maybe you could have asked to change dates in order to preserve your booking and preserve your coupon (I really dont know it it could work)

Warm Regards from Bolivia

Si ésta información fue de ayuda, dale un: "like/kudo". Acá abajo. Saludos

I'm not asking a refund. My point is: since the coupon was redeemed, but the reservation was cancelled, I should be able to use the coupon again with a different reservation. Correct?

Pablo629
Level 10
La Paz, Bolivia

@Ramiro90 The rule is clear.

Maybe you could have asked to change dates in order to preserve your booking and preserve your coupon (I really dont know it it could work), but not definitely on a different reservation.

Si ésta información fue de ayuda, dale un: "like/kudo". Acá abajo. Saludos

I understand the rule is clear. It just doesn't make sense... 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ramiro90  It isn't like Airbnb is charging you $100 for a  cancellation, because that $100 never came out of your pocket to begin with.

But I agree that it's mean-sprited of Airbnb to cancel the coupons just because you had to cancel the booking.

Jenny308
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Similar situation except the host cancelled and now Airbnb can't/won't give a new coupon as the Superhost one I use has now expired.

Traveling in 3 days and have 'lost' USD100 because the host cancelled 3 days out, and the Airbnb system can't reinstate/reissue a new credit.

Support Ambassador thanks me for my understanding though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Jenny308 

Had the same situation.
I booked, the host canceled, and my coupon has now expired. The support ambassador thanked me too, but she will ask her superior to make an exception.

Jenny308
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Did you have any luck getting a new coupon issued?

I didn't...

They continue to thank me for my understanding (I'm not being understanding at all) but keep reiterating that they can't reinstate. I've suggested they issue a new one several times.

Host cancelled after it expired and 3 days before I traveled. No chance to rebook as it had expired.

It's just a dumb decision. It was only $100. It was a Superhost coupon (surely retention of Superhosts is a KPI). I've generated thousands of dollars for them in service fees over the years. The booking I was making would literally cover the $100 in fees.

And they have eroded years of goodwill.

Makes zero sense.

Oh well...

Hope you had better luck.

I agree. I considered cancelling a recent reservation but worried I'd lose the coupon (host address wasn't what was represented in the listing).

I did cancel a booking in Atlanta last year within 48 hours (I believed the host to be fraudulent for asking for funds and other issues outside of the platform). For some reason that coupon stayed active and I used it for the replacement listing I booked. I wonder if the coupon is only refundable within 48 hours?

I decided not to test it on a booking I just made after reading this.

If Airbnb wants to reward Superhosts they should just issue them cash not a coupon (with an expiry date) the can be tricky to use during these covid times.