Covid Cancelations up until 30th June

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Covid Cancelations up until 30th June

Hello all,

It is my understanding that a guest is required to provide supporting documentation such as a cancelled flight (and no other options available) in order to be eligible for a penalty free cancelation.  Am I wrong?

The reason why I ask is Im having guests based in the same country cancel and be refunded because their concert was cancelled.

Thank you all,

Paul

Sorry I found the answer in the policy

''' In order to cancel under the policy, you will be required to attest to the facts of and/or provide supporting documentation for your extenuating circumstance.'''

- Some battles ahead I think ...

Airbnb are Snakes.
21 Replies 21

@Denice0 'I personally don't think it's right to keep the guest's money during a pandemic. '

Hello Denice is that not like saying I personally don't think the Banks should be charging interest and taking their customers money during a pandemic?

At its most basic level - hosts are responsible for providing our guests with accommodation.  We are not responsible for providing out guests with free travel insurance.  

Airbnb are Snakes.
Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

No, @Paul60 it's about a guest booking a property for a vacation, prior to C-19, and then not feeling safe to travel when the pandemic is still spreading and killing people.  It's not about banks being repaid for a loan, or insurance companies that are paid, but they don't cover pandemics. 

Call it karma, I was refunded 100% for an expensive April trip - vacation rental, hotel, flights, festival passes.  I plan to re-book next year, or the next year.  My business has survived wildfires and floods.  I'm explaining to my guests, Airbnb holds and is in control of their money, and the changing refund policies.  The Host is working with them, so they are comfortable with their reservation, during a pandemic.  Those that have cancelled (refunded the best I am able) are planning to visit in the future, when they feel safer to travel.  I actually just got a new booking for next week.  They are a repeat guests from 4 years ago.  If we do what's right they will return.  It's not easy deciphering the changing policies and operating steps that Airbnb keeps throwing at us!  I don't count on large companies to do anything but attempt to maximize profits, and when the times get tough the means get deceitful.

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Denice0 

No, @Paul60 it's about a guest booking a property for a vacation, prior to C-19, and then not feeling safe to travel when the pandemic is still spreading and killing people.  It's not about banks being repaid for a loan, or insurance companies that are paid, but they don't cover pandemics. '

- Perhaps you might have missed my point.

- My original point was do you think its okay for a Bank to charge interest on a Business loan during the pandemic?

- But my ultimate point is why do you think its the host responsibility to insure the guest against any unforeseen events such as this pandemic? 

' Call it karma, I was refunded 100% for an expensive April trip - vacation rental, hotel, flights, festival passes.  I plan to re-book next year, or the next year.  My business has survived wildfires and floods.  I'm explaining to my guests, Airbnb holds and is in control of their money, and the changing refund policies.  The Host is working with them, so they are comfortable with their reservation, during a pandemic.  Those that have cancelled (refunded the best I am able) are planning to visit in the future, when they feel safer to travel.  I actually just got a new booking for next week.  They are a repeat guests from 4 years ago.  If we do what's right they will return.  It's not easy deciphering the changing policies and operating steps that Airbnb keeps throwing at us!  I don't count on large companies to do anything but attempt to maximize profits, and when the times get tough the means get deceitful.'

- Thats all fine and its lovely that you're refunding the guests however as you outlined - however thats a Business decision.  

Paul

Airbnb are Snakes.
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^ "But my ultimate point is why do you think its the host (sole) responsibility to insure the guest against any unforeseen events such as this pandemic?"

I added the word sole, because life is always a matter of degrees. Good question @Paul60 . 

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

@Paul60 and @Fred13 , 

"But my ultimate point is why do you think its the host responsibility to insure the guest against any unforeseen events such as this pandemic?"

This is not "any unforeseen event", it's a bloody pandemic!  As we top 100,000 deaths in the US from C-19, we cannot forget that these aren't just bar graphs and statistics, but human lives.  I refund when guests (and I) don't feel safe travelling.  Would you be comfortable getting on an overcrowded airplane today?  These aren't guests who decided to change their plans last minute because they found something else to do; my guests are changing family wedding plans (one rescheduled to 2021), and long awaited trips.  If I communicate with them, and help them to understand their options, they most likely will book with me in the future.

"But my ultimate point is why do you think its the host (sole) responsibility to insure the guest against any unforeseen events such as this pandemic?"

We're the only humans in the room.  Airbnb will do what they legally think they must do - refund 100% only when a flight is cancelled, and then hide behind their unethical and untrue PR spin.   I feel better when I treat people the way I want to be treated.  I refund my guests who booked pre-C19.  We're simply the only ones left, otherwise we set back and continue to watch society crumble.   

What do you propose?  We can encourage more insurance companies into the equation - drive up prices, and they probably won't cover this pandemic.  More middleman?  Sign onto Airbnb's "flexible cancel policy" so they collect fees and we get 0.  Currently, I'm just trying to encourage the guests, who chose to stay at my place pre-C19, to re-book with me when they feel safe to travel.

@Denice0 

This is not "any unforeseen event", it's a bloody pandemic!  As we top 100,000 deaths in the US from C-19, we cannot forget that these aren't just bar graphs and statistics, but human lives.  I refund when guests (and I) don't feel safe travelling.  Would you be comfortable getting on an overcrowded airplane today?  These aren't guests who decided to change their plans last minute because they found something else to do; my guests are changing family wedding plans (one rescheduled to 2021), and long awaited trips.  If I communicate with them, and help them to understand their options, they most likely will book with me in the future.'

- Its an unforeseen  event.

- It still begs the question - why do you think its the hosts sole responsibility to insure the guest against an unforeseen event?

- This is not about forcing people to travel.  Its about who should take the financial hit (somebody has to).  So the question - should the host? Should the guest?  Should Airbnb?  By and large -  Airbnb decided the host should bear the cost of this.  

- Rescheduling a summer guest to next summer is the same as a cancelation - ie given the assumption that you will be fully booked next Summer anyways.  However thats your choice and its great given you chose that.

*** Obviously there are no easy solutions ***

- Perhaps the guest could have been refunded 75% back and Airbnb could have contributed right through the summer.

- Perhaps Airbnb shouldn't have changed the terms of the extenuating policy without given notice to the host.

- Perhaps Airbnb should have been more balanced and diligent in relation to assessing the guests claims. ie a large part of these flights are not cancelled yet still the guests are being refunded.

- Perhaps the loss could have been shared across Airbnb, host and the guest.

- Perhaps rescheduling dates could have been the only available option for the guest apart from cancelling in line with the host cancelation policy.

Airbnb are Snakes.

@Denice0 There is always a better way, if one doesn't think in absolute singular ways. From the start I have said that Airbnb should not have encouraged and have made cancelling the only valid response and made it so easy by simply the click of a button. Why not encourage re-booking first from the outset vs. instant-cancelling. You yourself said - "

"Currently, I'm just trying to encourage the guests, who chose to stay at my place pre-C19, to re-book with me when they feel safe to travel." That is exactly what I have done and professed from the start.

To get even more creative - perhaps Airbnb could have kept that much more money and perhaps paid hosts 25% on any reservation that the host rolled into the future vs. cancel - that would have been good for Airbnb, the guest and the host. 

I could think of 10 other ideas that would have helped hosts better in varying ways..