Covid Refunds

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

Covid Refunds

Are hosts aware that Airbnb will grant guests a full, no-questions-asked refund if « proof » is provided that someone in the group tested positive with Covid? 
Yesterday, less than 24h before arrival, Airbnb « Support » (huh!) emailed me to inform me guest cancelled due to Covid and was given a full refund despite our strict cancellation policy.

I’m not happy, but Airbnb reps just quote policy at me and refuse to do anything further.

How is it that the host takes a 100% hit in this situation? I could just about tolerate a 50/50 split, but a full refund seems grossly unfair to the host. Just wondering if anyone else has had to suffer the same situation? 

17 Replies 17
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Airbnb almost always favours guests in any dispute. 

A guest need only claim that the place was filthy or had no water or electricity, and demand a full refund, and they're likely to get it, without producing one shred of evidence. 

Hosts, on the other hand, can produce volumes of irrefutable evidence of a guest in violation of numerous breaches, including violations of house rules, parties, damage, and/or more persons than booked, and still risk being turned down for compensation by Airbnb. 

That's just the way it is. It's been going on for a long time, and isn't likely to change.

Unfortunately, your only chance is to pre-screen potential guests extensively, before they book, whenever you don't feel comfortable with their request or inquiry - particularly when they have no profile or positive history. It's still no guarantee, but in practice, it greatly reduces occurrences like these. 

No, it's not fair, but it's the nature of the beast. 

Mike-and-Tami0
Level 1
Washington, DC

We as hosts take on the full responsibility of these cancellations. Why does Airbnb not require guests to purchase trip insurance if they want protection. It does cover covid illness. We always take out a policy. We not only lose the booking but we also have to pay the cleaners if it is too late.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Jenny349 and everyone,

I hope you're all doing well! I just wanted to let you know that some changes have recently been made to the COVID-19 Extenuating Circumstances policy. If you haven’t seen it yet, you can find them here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Update-to-our-approach-for-guests-sick-with-COVID...

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen