Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Covid noncompliance with CDC standards - Is this review ok?

Answered!
Cat4
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

Covid noncompliance with CDC standards - Is this review ok?

I’d appreciate some feedback about my last guests. 

Let me preface : they were informed that I follow the enhanced Covid cleaning procedures and was assured by the wife that they had masks and hand sanitizer.

They entered with masks the night they arrived.

Now this:
I shared my home for 4 nights with defiant Covid dismissers. *After* they settled in, the husband told me they had already had COvid and they “didn’t miss a day of work”. (This at 8:30 Friday Labor Day Wkend in our resort area.)

His wife works as an occupational therapist in a hospital (!). I did my best to remove myself, but I offer breakfast and we share the kitchen and living room. Also, Politely deflected many attempts at political discussions. (felt like baiting). Finally he wore his Trump hat (even inside) for the last days, talked loudly on his phone about the “fear mongering” and threw out many conspiracy tidbits as I’m passing through the kitchen. I’ve only mentioned a few incidents.... I recognized passive-aggressive behavior, but I tried to rise above it to be a good host. 
Because of this experience, I have suspended my listing until after the US election is completed. I will also write Strict CDC requirements Into my House Rules.
Am I right to think that other hosts should know about their behavior? Should/ could I have kicked them out? 
thank you for reading this.... Pls advise.

Cat in Fort Walton Beach, FL

Now the review:

“Nice enough couple ... very polite. I believe they are better suited to a stand alone AirBnB.
I am an in-home host and informed guests via msg that I follow Airbnb enhanced cleaning protocol. Was assured by the wife that she agreed with precautions and had her own mask. 
However, after arriving, he informs me that he believes that Covid response is overblown and they have both had CoVid. I didn't require masks, but would have appreciated social distancing while sharing the same rooms. Attempts at political debate politely deflected, afterwards he wore his Trump hat throughout the visit (even inside).” 

Top Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cat4 

Regarding the review:

The review will probably be removed as violating the terms:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cat4 

Regarding the review:

The review will probably be removed as violating the terms:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Since you have snoozed your listing I do not know what your current rules are with respect to indoor shared spaces.  Do you expect your guests to wear masks in the the shared spaces?  Was that the case in July with previous guests?  

I also have a shared home listing and my City does not allow shared home rentals at this time which is fine with me.  

Perhaps your review should be a bit more generic with a statement that the guest might have been better suited in a hotel or self-contained unit rather than shared space.  More detail than that is not needed.  Unless you have specific rules requiring indoor masks, you can't fault them for their being strident Trumpers under content policy.  

Cat4
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

Thank you both