Critique my listing

Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

Critique my listing

Lindie here from Cape Town, South Africa.

We rent out our holiday house in Onrus, Hermanus (a tourist town known for whale watching and wineries) on many platforms, but we have not been successful with it on AirBnB. After trying various tricks and techniques (even a channel manager), we deleted and relisted it afresh. Happily, AirBnB sent a professional photographer and the images have been uploaded.

I can see that it has been added to wishlists, however, no requests yet. Am I impatient? Is there something obvious that I'm not saying/showing?

Please critique my listing - https://airbnb.com/h/festinalenteinonrus

2 Replies 2
Sammy-L-0
Level 10
Whitesburg, KY

@Lindie6All I know about Capetown would fit in a thimble, but I do know a fellow writer who lives there. Your property looks great to me.I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. There are a few things that jump out at me

Number 1, you have beach access marked, but also say the beach is a 4-minute drive. To me, beach access means you might have to walk across the street, but the beach is pretty much right there -- no driving required.

Number 2, I don't know what the television culture is there, but to me as an American the TV seems a bit small. I''m not a fan of wall-size screens, but something in the 47-inch range at least is expected here.

Number 3, maybe you should make your listing more descriptive. I tend to write short and crisp, but for our listing, I looked through real estate and other rental lists and tried to use more flowery language.

Number 4 and last, how does your price compare to others in the area? I am a firm believer in not pricing too low, and to my eye, $55 is dirt cheap. It may be counter intuitive, but raising your price might attract more people. Often people see an inexpensive price and think cheap or shoddy.

Just my opinion. I hope this helps.

Sam
The Historic Mountain View
Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

@Sammy-L-0  thanks so much for your valuable input! I'll immediately apply point 1, we are discussing point 2, and I will relook our description.

Point 4 is tricky - I've added smart pricing thinking that AirBnB's algorithm prefers it and my lowest price is substantially higher than the suggested one. And I agree with the psychology of "too low, must be something wrong", but thought I'd better start low for my first three bookings. So far, no action though, so I'm feeling a little discouraged (at least I'm getting bookings on other platforms, but would really like to use AirBnB).

Meanwhile you've given me some homework, thanks!

Fingers crossed ☺️