DONT convert your property to 30 day rentals, airbnb wont stand with you

DONT convert your property to 30 day rentals, airbnb wont stand with you

DONT DO IT. I have a cute little bungalow in downtown Charleston in a transitional neighborhood.  My daughter lives next door so its not like I don’t think the neighborhood is safe.  We put in the listing that it is a transitional up and coming area. It is surrounded by a lot of new construction $1 million + that young professionals and students live it. There are some older homes that are lived in by minority residents (it is a downtown urban location). In January we furnished and decorated the a unit  to rent 30 day. Ten out of 12 guests have loved it and left us great reviews. We had two guest show up and freak out because  of people living near them that don’t look like them and wanted out of the reservation.

The problem with 30 day reservations is that you can’t rerent it.  You hold the unit for the guests (usually months in advance), if they cancel day of checkin, we usually can’t rerent because you have another guests coming in w/in 30 days and you no longer can meet the 30 days required by the city.  Both times Airbnb sided with the guests and refunded their reservation. The racist guests found reason to be upset. One guest complained about a dirty air vent but refused to let us into the unit the day of checkin to clean it for them. They left the next day and Airbnb refunded them the entire stay (including the cleaning fee and the one night stay!). Yesterday a guest checkin and messaged us via Airbnb at 11:00 pm that she felt the neighborhood was “too rough” and that one of the windows lock did not work.

We talked to her at 9:00am the next morning and told her that we would have the lock fixed by the end of the day. She said that it didn’t matter that she was leaving anyway. We fixed the lock on the window, sent pictures and a receipt to Airbnb by the end of the day and AIRBNB STILL REFUNDED HER!  To make it even more insulting, they froze our listing and asked for a receipt and pictures that the repair was made which we had already sent them! This removed 2 months (1/6th) of our expected revenues. We also have ST rentals and it is one thing to lose a night here and there from crazy guests, but you can’t afford to lose months.  When we  converted this property to 30 day rental (STR not allowed there) we budgeted for  decorating, utilities, &   the  gaps we expected to have between reservations but we didn’t budget for having 2 months of income removed from us by AIRBNB! This is not sustainable. We will need to convert back to long-term leases  or only list on VRBO where can be assured that we will receive rent. All the work and risk and we will be making less than what we made before because of these 2 months.  

Airbnb ALWAYS STANDS WITH GUESTS AND NEVER WITH HOSTS.  Funny that 30 day rentals are supposed to be AIRBNB big new thing. DON’T DO IT.  If I haven’t convinced you yet, I have 2 other horror stories.  We have another little cottage that we rented as a 30 day rental.   Guests search and see a super cheap daily rate for a 30 day stay compared to expensive STR . They  want the cheap rate but don’t need 30 days. They reserve the unit for 30 days, stay a week and then find a “problem” and contact Airbnb to get a refund for the remainder of their stay.  OF COURSE AIRBNB GIVES IT TO THEM! They got a super cheap rental and we got an empty unit for 3 weeks that was unrentable.

One refund was given because the guest said we had bedbugs. Our exterminator came out and inspected the unit and provided a certified letter stating there were no bed bugs. We begged them to call an exterminator of their own to come inspect the unit.  But nope.  We were out  3 weeks revenue & the cost of exterminator visit.  Another guest stayed 2 weeks and then complained about cleanliness because of  crumbs in the toaster oven. Yep, refunded the remaining 2 weeks. I loved Airbnb but they have lost their soul. The hosts are nothing. What ever the guest say is goes. Airbnb is perfect for dishonest guests who want to work a deal because they know Airbnb will bend to them. 

Another problem with their host service is that you talk to someone different every time. This last  issue was messaged to us by one person, we responded via app, we called in and spoke to another person and then a third person refunded the guest without even reading the messages.   I’m done.  August the unit goes back to regular rental,  more money and less hassle.  

Sad because we had so many guests who loved this unit and it would have been a good deal for use if Airbnb hadn’t stolen 2 months from us.  I know this is long but hoping that someone at Airbnb actually reads these and realizes there is a problem (we interestingly have never had this problem with VRBO reservations).  

18 Replies 18
Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

I am so glad for the warning about long-term rentals on Airbnb. It's also nice to know that VRBO is a good alternative if Airbnb becomes too unreasonable for us. So far we've had decent luck with Airbnb, but I'm concerned to read so many reports of host listings being frozen. We had a guest book for a month who didn't like the neighborhood and left two weeks early. She complained directly to Airbnb. When Airbnb contacted us, we readily agreed to the refund because we didn't want someone staying here who was having a miserable time! Just as your daughter lives next door to your place, we live right next door to ours. So, like you said, it's not like we believe this is an unsavory location. Some guests apparently like the price and convenience of booking an Airbnb but then are insulted when the neighborhood is full of actual real working-class people....

I've had a few cancel for the same reason, "neighborhood".  I actually believe that they use this for an excuse to get a refund....I usually end up telling them, well I live here for over 20 years and I'm not a thug or bad person....and never had a problem....it's inner city for goodness sake, not the burbs!!

Oh what a nightmare I am going through with a cancellation from the guest....10 days and airbnb is still working on it.....It is soooo obvious that the guest is 100% in the wrong...and yes I have a strict one from the jump....airbnb made the decision 2 days ago that guest does NOT get a refund....and now they are still giving the guest more time to negotiate with them, because the original reason was not won on the guest's end.....so they are angling for another reason!!  WTF???  The decision was already made.  The concern was that it smelled like smoke and I have this documented......IT's a SMOKING unit, which states that in my listing!!  Why is airbnb giving them another angle to consider????  This is totally not right!!  If you knew the entirety of the situation, it is soooo obvious that they are trying everything and airbnb is giving them the opportunity to do so!!!  I've got all the documentation that proves it, and gave it to airbnb.....and they are still working on it........headache..

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Patricia2165 

Experienced hosts know that ABB is not suitable for long-term rentals for all the reasons already written above.

I use it for STR only, 2 weeks max, I made just two exceptions and rented it for a month. It went well but I am not going to repeat it.

My family rents long-term apartments and rooms as well but not on Airbnb. There are other platforms like VRBO, Local platforms (like Craigslist ), Facebook... where the landlord and the guest don't depend on some CS rep's decision, where the renter can meet and speak to the landlord and look at the room before deciding to rent it, where the contract can be signed and actual deposit can be taken.