Damage to tv inputs, and other stuff, what to do ? how does airbnb step in?

Bora1476
Level 2
Ayvalık, Turkey

Damage to tv inputs, and other stuff, what to do ? how does airbnb step in?

All they did was "unplug the satellite and plugged in a "media box"(that they brought in) to the HDMI port" (as far as they tell) but now the only HDMI port (actually it was a DVI port but the other end of the cord is an HDMI) is not receiving signals and the TV has to be on SD resolution through scart cable.

It was only a "two night" stay and i cant help but be pissed as they also relocated some electric "group plugs",  unplugged the dishwasher then say "dishwasher not working".

I know that the house is not preimum-perfect, the tv was not a brilliant tv and not have multiple HDMI slots and they may have easily missed the extra electric plugs in the livingroom and they also did not want to bother me with questions so took the task to themselves...

Quite frankly, i dont wanna negative them and get negative comment back but i will have to replace the tv soon.

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

We all have stuff in our homes that we know how to operate but might not be obvious to someone else.  Unless you want to have long instructions or show up and help a guest operate your "not brilliant tv" you should have amenities that are easily used by others.  Your being "pissed" is probably contributing to your evaluation of the guest, but you could take some responsibility for the issue.

The tv was not damaged during usual operation, the host thought it was better idea to watch netflix through a media box that they brought in rather than the satellite setup that i did prepare for guests.

It was a "not so brilliant tv but the HD input" was brilliant enough for HD.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bora1476 Don't bother claiming under the Airbnb host guarantee. Even if they did accept your claim (which is unlikely) it will only pay out on a depreciated basis so if the TV is old you'll get close to nothing as a pay out.

Bora1476
Level 2
Ayvalık, Turkey

well , the overall experience is going from good to worse... since the guests had no previous ratings, i got nervous of the upcoming guests with no previous ratings...

Bora1476
Level 2
Ayvalık, Turkey

After this incident, i feel i hould avoid guests with no previous reviews or low rated reviews. 

See , one of my reservations have joined airbnb in 2013 and has no ratings, that can mean either he always worked around airbnb or nobody wanted to give a bad review for him to get a bad one as a retaliation.

I am wondering if i cancel his reservation which will also be my first reservation ever, will those 15 days get disabled and will i get a 50 dolar penalty.? there are 24 days remaining until his arrival.

There was a time in which many people signed up for Air BNB and did not use it so being a member without reviews is not all that unusual.  Also, it could be that a guest was not the booking guest but someone else took care of that.  The review would be on that person's profile.  If there are low rated or negative reviews, and you have Instant Book, you can contact Air BNB and have them cancel the booking due to you are not comfortable with the guest.  If you do the cancellation on your own, you will be penalized.

i did and met the rude side of airbnb, they closed the thread without a single sentence.

and a day later, a respresentative contacted me...

to be continued

a repsentative was supposed to contact me for the cancelation of "no review" guests but 2 days was not enough so i will wait 3 more days?...geez..