Damaged table by guest

Emma2411
Level 2
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Damaged table by guest

Hi all,

I have had a guest damage my outdoor table they placed something hot on the surface which has burnt it (one big mark and little spit marks). When asked the guests said they were unaware of any damage to the table. I have sent them photos but yet to request money for damages as was awaiting quotes to have it fixed 

I have had one person look at it advising it can not be fixed and I am best to replace. I am awaiting a second person to look at it. Replacing would be min 800 just for a table (meaning the chairs won't match) or 1500 for a set that matches.

How much should I be seeking from the guest towards this due to their damage?

Thanks

received_166630552006033.jpeg

3 Replies 3
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Emma2411,😊

The guests are necessary to replacement the full set of  1500 USD.

It is standard policy.

Happy Hosting ✌️

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emma2411  Forget that- Airbnb will never back you on paying for an entire new set and I'm sure the guests certainly won't agree to pay, I mean they've already denied that they did the damage.

You'll be lucky if Airbnb gives you $200.

It's hard to tell what the table is made of- some kind of resin? If so, I'd just scrape out the burnt part, use some type of filler, and paint it to match the rest of the table. It'll never look perfect again, but so it goes. Or look online-you might be able to get replacement slats from the company.

If it's wood, you could just replace that board. 

It would be a good idea to put some kind of trivets or a ceramic tile on that table to put hot pots down on.

@Emma2411 On the rare occasions when Airbnb pays out a claim to replace damaged furniture, it tends to base the payout on the  greatly depreciated secondhand value of the old item, not the retail value of the new item. And replacing chairs that weren't damaged so that they "match" a new table ? Forget about it. If it were this easy, unscrupulous hosts would be getting full home makeovers at guests' expense all the time.

@Sarah977 knows her stuff when it comes to furniture repair; if this is not a project you feel comfortable doing yourself, I'd say keep on trying until you find a pro who can. As-is, the table is still functional, just less beautiful. I think a fair settlement would be for the guest to pay the material costs of the repair but not the labor. Bearing in mind, of course, that small claims have a far greater chance of being settled than large ones, which are often outright denied and closed without a dime.