Daughter brings in the Creep Factor

Answered!

Daughter brings in the Creep Factor

Thought I would like to try to host and see how it is. My daughter thinks it's creepy. Now I'm not so sure. I'm a very social person. I come from a long line of hospitality. I love cooking for friends and family, I love to entertain, love coffee and chats, love meeting all types of different people and have never had a problem connecting, meeting and getting along with people. My daughter not so much. She says....it's having random people in the house and that it's creepy. She said she is sure many people do it and like it. Now, I'm doubting myself.

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

My grown-and-gone kids weren't nuts about it either, @Sandra4590 . They worried about my safety, my working too hard, things like that. I did listen to their concerns, but didn't let them call the shots. 🙂

It sounds like you have the makings of a great host. There are millions of us hosting worldwide. However, if you think your daughter has valid points -- and especially if she is living in the house, too! -- you can certainly consider them. 

Maybe, if you decide to go ahead, you can make her feel better by being very careful. It's a good idea anyway: Accept only those with all their ID uploaded and with positive reviews by other hosts. Don't go with Instant Book at first. Have guests request to book so you can ask whatever you need to know before accepting. Set your calendar to something like only 3 months ahead so you can back out of hosting fairly quickly if everyone turns out to be creepy. Read the Help pages and this forum, keeping in mind that people mostly only post when something is going wrong, so it is more cautionary tale than representative sample.

Will you let us know what you end up doing?

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

My grown-and-gone kids weren't nuts about it either, @Sandra4590 . They worried about my safety, my working too hard, things like that. I did listen to their concerns, but didn't let them call the shots. 🙂

It sounds like you have the makings of a great host. There are millions of us hosting worldwide. However, if you think your daughter has valid points -- and especially if she is living in the house, too! -- you can certainly consider them. 

Maybe, if you decide to go ahead, you can make her feel better by being very careful. It's a good idea anyway: Accept only those with all their ID uploaded and with positive reviews by other hosts. Don't go with Instant Book at first. Have guests request to book so you can ask whatever you need to know before accepting. Set your calendar to something like only 3 months ahead so you can back out of hosting fairly quickly if everyone turns out to be creepy. Read the Help pages and this forum, keeping in mind that people mostly only post when something is going wrong, so it is more cautionary tale than representative sample.

Will you let us know what you end up doing?

Thanks Lawrence. Yes, she is grown and out of the house too, like yours. And yes, she definately calls the shots in my life 😛

I like your suggestions a lot. That is the way to go. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sandra4590  I have 3 grown daughters and none of them expressed any concern. Maybe they don't care about me? 🙂 Just kidding, I think they know Mom can handle things pretty well and they most definitely don't call my shots nor I theirs.

I have been a home-share host since late 2016, although I have been closed due to Covid for a year and a half, but planning to open back up soon.

I have had wonderful guests, of all ages and genders from many places all over the world- it's been a great experience and I still keep in touch with some of my past guests.

I'd strongly advise you not to use Instant Book, and market towards the type of guests who will suit you and your listing. Set a minimum stay length of 2 or 3 days, so you don't end up having to spend your life cleaning, a maximum of 2 weeks, so if you don't like the guest you won't have to put up with them for too long. Don't take long term bookings- you want guests, not roommates. And set a 1- 2 day advance notice so you don't get last minute bookings. You want a chance to check out a guest's reviews and communicate  with them before deciding whether to accept them or not.

You can click on anyone's profile photo here, to go to their profile page and then click on their listings to see how they market their place- mine is still active, although dates are blocked from booking. You can read how I wrote things to get some ideas, and it has worked well for me- it has pretty much attracted just the kind of guests I like.

Go for it, Mom!

Awww thank you Sarah. 

Yes, I'll take your suggestions also and look up listings. 

That's great that you've met some wonderful people. That's something that attracts me to it the most. 

Good luck with your grand re-opening....exciting. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sandra4590 

I really think you should do whatever you want to do.

If you are talking about renting a space in your home you can make it very clear that you accept only mature women, NO CHILDREN, and, if you want, one small pet.

Just be very careful about who you allow to book and if you don’t like the look of things when they show up don’t let them in.

You can insist on seeing ID, for example, and if it doesn’t match the information you got from Airbnb, they don’t get in.

If in doubt, lock them out. It’s your house.

I would suggest that you not accept any bookings for less than 2 nights or more than 28.

Depending on where you live, most people are going to be no different than those who you pass on the street, chat with at the grocery store, or see in a restaurant.

Thanks Brian. Appreciate your input. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sandra4590  PS I think that younger female hosts do have more concerns about hosting and some specify female guests only. I've read posts from young female hosts who have had male guests come on to them, even try to hug or kiss them, or send them "I'd like to get to know you better" type messages, which of course is inapppropriate and uncomfortable. 

But my days of being young and cute are long past and all my male guests have been perfect gentlemen

Ah yes, I see. My daughter is 29 so that's likely where her view is coming from too. 

Yuh, I'm past that age too LOL....

@Sandra4590  Yeah, women that age, especially if they are rather attractive physically or personality-wise are constantly having to fend off men who still,  even in this day and age, can't take subtle not-interested hints. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 @Sandra4590 

I was just thinking that someone starting out might want to be extra cautious at first.

If someone is hosting more for pleasure than for profit there’s no problem with setting high standards.