Deceitful Guests

Pamela1117
Level 2
Floresville, TX

Deceitful Guests

I had a deceitful guest who tried to sneak in 25 plus people into my home for a party. They were only booked for 8. Then they put tape over my ring video so we could not see what they were doing. Finally they accused me as being racist and unpatriotic. Which all was not true. What do you do in that situation?

PEP
12 Replies 12
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Pamela1117 its unfortunately very common, especially for new hosts. 

Some advice? Lower your guest counts. You want to aim for fewer people with a higher price per night to get better guests. You have 4 beds so your max should be 8 guests. Make sure none of your tables have more seating than 8 people.

Make your house rules more robust. Address what happens if people bring extra guests-- will they be removed? Fined? Both? Flesh out your rules and hide an Easter egg phrase that guests have to repeat before booking.

Set your booking only to accept those recommended by other hosts or do a lot of vetting.

Don't make it appear that you are too far away to intervene if something happens. 

Wait until the last minute (day 14, 11th hour, 55th minute) to leave your review of the poor guests. Something like "Guests threw an unsanctioned party with 25 people on a reservation for 8. We do not recommend them and would not have them back." Low scores in all categories and "would not host again" button pressed. If they leave you a review you can ask for it to be removed. But as you are so new, I might just deactivate this listing and start over with better rules and screening. 

Good luck!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Call guest and tell them to remove the tape. @Pamela1117 

2. Report to Airbnb

3. I would ask Airbnb to cancel the booking as it's breaks their party rule and presumably your house rules for not having anyone at the listing whose not on the booking .

4. go to your listing to ensure the guests leave, photo/video any damage and submit a claim if necessary 

"They put a tape over ring" -

Do NOT call guests. Do NOT call ABNB

Call police, charge then with destruction of property/modification without legal owner written permission. (I am NOT a lawyer, but I think that what it is)

"unpatriotic"? That is the first. Racist? Get used to it - you did not decline or accept booking because you saw no pictures (At least something ABNB did right to protect hosts and itself)

@Laura2592 

"Set your booking only to accept those recommended by other hosts"

Is there such setting?

EDIT - I got it - for Instant Book.

No way Jose - NO Instant Book!

@Pamela1117 the truth to be said - your property screaming PARTY. Big, multiple sitting settings in different locations, huge lakefront yard, looks like a tropical restaurant from outside.... I would not book it for the "quiet weekend" - I would ...PAAAARTY

Thank you. I’m the future I will. What if I get someone who booked who don’t have any reviews yet?

PEP

@Pamela1117 

read through posts here. 

Liek a lot of people say

1. Do not make friends (well, OK - I am one of the few who says it - you are LANDLORD, not FRIEND)

2. Request IDs for ALL guests

3. Make it clear property surroundings are under observation and ring is NOT the only one Say that there are periodic visits from security firm you contracted to check on well being of guests.

4. Make it clear that NO guests not in reservation (IDs provided AFTER booking accepted and checked on check-in) are allowed on property at any time and there WILL be fine and eviction.

5. Sorry, again, your palce is perfect for parties 

We are on a septic system. Which cannot support more than 10 people so. We have also disclosed that.   I’ll just have to get more stringent with the rules. And I like your suggestion of every Adult on the property has to show IDs plus children have to be recorded as well by their parents.  I have a lot to learn but with the help of the community I think I can do a better job

PEP
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Consider even just 6 guests;  it is not always 3 couples that will come.

There is a big difference between 6 and 8 persons in a place; 10 insinuates party no doubt. 

Also consider just 2 and X amount for extra persons till reach 6. Example $495 first 2 and $75 next 4 (= $795 total /$132 per person). 

Either way keep close eye on your property. You do have close-by neighbors, little room for error.

Good luck.

Thank you. Great idea!

PEP
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Pamela1117 @It does not matter how many you host, what matters is how you get them. Make sure you require an ID from all guests. Get a party squasher devise and state it in your listing. Have a smoking fee Make partying at your place really inconvenient

as for this situation, airbnb has a party hotline. Make sure you report it so they remove the guests and they can not leave you a negative feedback 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Actually, to me it matters foremost how I maintain 'control of guest's behavior' when in my place.  That is my responsibility, no one else's. By my listing's description those that come should  already  'fit' if they can read (and can afford it), but it is up to me that those that do come are kept within certain necessary boundaries. 

I have yet to worry at all about even the identity of the 2nd-8th person in the group that comes to my place in 7 years. The one that made the reservation is who I tend to address and hold responsible; but when they arrive I always ask first - ''Who is the leader in this expedition?'',  just in case they have a new leader.  

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

We live on a island were the main business is tourism so we have to be extra careful with anyone who wants to book our properties, 

I think everybody dreams of renting a nice pool villa to have parties and BBQ's, it's not happening.

There are certain red flags for us here,