Declining Reservation Help

Stacy-And-Tim0
Level 2
Sanatoga, PA

Declining Reservation Help

I am just a few months in with my AirBnB journey and for the most part enjoying it and looking forward to becoming a Super Host!  The one issue I find frustrating, is that the past few people who have requested to book have asked if I will make exceptions to my house rules (no pets, more than 8 people...).  I decline these requests because I'm afraid if I approve them they will book with me and break my rules anyway.  Currently I have a 50% request approval rate which is upsetting to me because I accept every qualified request!  Thanks for any thoughts/help/suggestions

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Stacy-And-Tim0 one option is to ask the guest to withdraw the request, explaining that the rule must be followed, and if they don't withdraw the request you will assume that means they agree to follow the rule, and will accept the request with the strict provision that they will not break the rule (and any rule-breaking will result in immediate eviction).

Others will argue that your decline rate doesn't matter, won't affect search placement, etc.-- I am personally not so sure about that.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that!

I don’t want to risk anything affecting our search placement so I’d rather be safe than sorry. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't see anything in your (lovely) listing, @Stacy-And-Tim0, to warn me off trying to squeeze you. Something like 'I'm afraid six is the maximum number we can accommodate, and pets aren't permitted' etc. That might weed some of the pushy types out.  

Thanks for taking a look at it!  You’re right, I think if I add something in the description it might prevent some people from asking.