Level 2
Huntington, NY

Delete an unfair review from a visitor

Can superhosts delete an unfair review from a visitor

8 Replies 8
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Eileen172  No, they can't and the guest can't either. Only the support service, if there are prohibited statements (politics, dirty words, mention of drugs, etc.).)

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Eileen172 You consider it unfair because of its contentions or the rating numbers given?

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Eileen172 sadly not. It can be frustrating especially when the review says something like 'it was further away from the town than we thought it would be' even though the exact location is shown prior to booking!

Do you have a bad review or are you expecting one?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Obvious which review is the guilty party, if you read down a few, @Mike-And-Jane0 !

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

Strange - the review wasn't there when I looked. It is now though

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Eileen172 It is so discouraging to get a bad review, but if it is a one-off review and the rest are great, potential guests will see through that one bad review and focus on the good ones. You may not be able to remove the negative review but it will get buried and your other great reviews will shine! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Eileen172  I wouldn't worry about that review amidst your 165 other great reviews. 

What I will say is that while I understand why you were moved to leave the response to her review that you did, it wasn't the best response to leave (and although I know you didn't mean it like that, a derogatory reference to "gypsies" is actually a ethnic slur). I see that you are accustomed to leaving responses to most of your reviews, and when you are responding to a nice review to thank the guest, it's fine to address the guest personally, as it shows you appreciate your guests and the fact that they took the time to leave a good review.

However, when you are responding to a bad review (which hopefully you'll never have to deal with again), you should only use the response to correct any lies or misrepresentations, rather than addressing it to the guest in question. The review responses you leave appear on your review page, not the guest's, so the response you leave is read by future guests, and the guest who wrote the review will likely never even see your response. So rather than attack the guest (who you already reviewed honestly and who future guests are uninterested in), I would have just said something like "These guests were extremely problematic and this review is indicative of their general attitude and behavior. The house is professionally cleaned between each guest group, we do not have a rodent issues, and I personally and thoroughly do an inspection before guest arrival.  Please refer to the reviews from our other guests for an accurate picture of the accommodation we provide."

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Eileen172 Your racist review response is not really going to help the situation.