Do not EVER start refunding cleaning fees.

Jo824
Level 2
Gelderland, Netherlands

Do not EVER start refunding cleaning fees.

Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience.

I have been a host for 3 years, last 2 of those superhost.

Suddenly this summer I got one lady guest who was upset that there were crumbs under a carpet, and a sock in the corner under one of the beds she did not use.

Me being the kind host offered to refund the cleaning fees. I thought - yes, there are people with mysophobia in this world. Poor them.
The lady accepted, but made sure in her review to post that she was not happy with the cleaning AND that I refunded, but that it was a traumatic experience for her anyway. 

A month later - I get guests who complain there is a hair in the bathroom, and spots on a mirror, and that they were very disappointed.

I had cleaned the place myself, found it hard to believe, but ok, I refunded again. (These guests by the way left cigarette buts allover the garden and terrace, food in the fridge, a waterballet in the bathroom etc).(and of course a sh*tty review)

Two weeks later (as in  yesterday) I get 3 young kids from Germany, they start to complain there is a spider cobweb in the house (it's in the forest, surprise!), there is a stain on a sheet that is used for storing garden pillows, they have paid for the cleaning... etc. You know what they are aiming for.

So after 3 years of no complaints whatsoever, I suddenly run a filthy house. 

I get the feeling there are guests that read all the reviews for such a bit of information, and it will be used against you. 

And you cannot win.

Once a review is there, it's there to stay.

So - I will be taking my property off from AirBnB, as I do not wish to be part of this whole review circus.

11 Replies 11
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jo824 

Although I know many hosts charge a cleaning fee and it's pretty standard in a lot of places, I don't, and the sort of problems you describe are one of the reasons why. I've never had a reason to refund a guest anything, other than unspent nights and that was when I wanted the guest to leave.

I know you said you are leaving Airbnb but, if you reconsider, is it possible to simply incorporate cleaning costs into your nightly rate and still stay competitive with other listings in your area?

Yes, you are mostly likely stuck with these reviews (unless they violate Airbnb's content policy), but remember that reviews do not show in chronological order on your listing. They will be ordered according to the nationality and language of the guest looking. So, it's quite possible that many guests won't even notice those particular ones.

Jo824
Level 2
Gelderland, Netherlands

@Huma0 

Hi, 

Thanks for your reaction, and yes, if I would have known in detail in advance how this whole system works, this would definitely be the smarter approach.

And maybe it is still an option, to just opt out for a few months (until my frustration with petty behaviour of some guests has faded away☺) and then come back without the cleaning fees. Because that is indeed a very good idea.

But for now the feeling of realizing you do have a choice, and acting on it - makes me feel a whole lot better!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jo824 

Yes, you always have a choice! 'Host fatigue' is something that's often mentioned here on the CC. Sometimes it's good to have a break. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I have always included the cleaning fee in the nightly rate I think it looks better, No need to be giving refunds.

Lots of people here in Phuket charge extra for electric I used to but was getting bad reviews I just added a few $$$ per night to cover. 

They would complain they didnt know electric was extra we didn't hide it and when they arrive they sign my contract and it was on there also I would read the meter infront of them.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jo824 @Sudsrung0 

I think that people just do not like 'extra fees' in general, regardless of what they are for. It creates resentment. Couple that with Airbnb's very high guest service fee and you have guests that are maybe disgruntled from the start.

One of the most common complaints I've read from guests posting online is that the listing was advertised at X price, but then there was this fee, that fee, and it ended up costing them nearly double. Interestingly, it's the cleaning fee that they complain about more than the Airbnb fee, so the host is the one that gets the brunt of the frustration.

In contrast, whenever I've put my nightly price up a bit, no one has dinged me on value. When the price was a bit lower, due to the pandemic, I received constant requests for extra discounts. These pretty much stopped when I put the price up by a few pounds!

Jo824
Level 2
Gelderland, Netherlands

@Huma0  @Sudsrung0 

You are totally right, about paying for extra's not being nice.

Whereas the complimentary bottle of wine + snacks at arrival ARE nice (and no-one ever mentions it ☺☺☺)

So maybe I will hone up my consumer psychology skills after having taken a break for a few months.

Thanks so much for replying, and take care.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Jo824 

We had a family rent my villa where they went over board about the electric bill at the end, that maybe changed our minds about including it in the rate.

Nobody ever mentions the good things we do as host, That particular family didn't mention all the Free drinks and some beers in the fridge and a basket of fruit, Top that off with a Free boat trip to one of the islands all included in the price, No mention about that.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

I often find it perplexing what guests do and don't mention in their reviews. Pretty much every guest tells me after they arrive that the bed is super comfortable. I mean they really rave about how comfortable the beds are. However, only a tiny minority mention it in the review even though I would think it's quite a significant thing.

That being said, it's been mentioned more often recently. Not sure why. I feel that people tend to have a bit of a sheep mentality and are more likely to mention something that someone else has, so it goes in waves.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Jo824Cleaning fees are a tricky business, if exorbitant in comparison to base price they become an obvious source of contention, if so low then raises the valid question of why bother. The recent pickiness may be more the sign of the times, than anything else or just plain coincidence. I do charge a 3% cleaning fee, never has anyone even mentioned it.

mysophobia? Have they invented a word already for those who 'suffer' from a phobia against phobias? I wonder because surely when I hear that word, my wife tells me,  I get this disdainful look on my face:

slap4.jpg

Jo824
Level 2
Gelderland, Netherlands

@Fred13 - I looked it up for you  - Phobophobia  ☺

@Jo824 Love it. Thank you. I will use it next party, I am sure I will be hit.