Do you have any flexibility on your cancellation policy?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Do you have any flexibility on your cancellation policy?

This just in. Inquiry for booking right over christmas and new years....."The only concern we had was the cancellation policy, with only a 50% refund up to Dec 21. While it appears things have stabilized somewhat in Alberta and BC, its still a bit of a moving target. Do you have any flexibility with this policy?"

Ugh. So many things I want to reply with 😈.  Suggestions for what to actually say? As of right now, I think I should probably invoke the (almost) 24 hour rule before I respond back. 

29 Replies 29
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colleen253  Yeah, right. Block my calendar for the busiest, most expensive time of year, and then cancel with a full refund on Dec. 23rd. How about,

"Hosts have only a few cancellation policies to choose from, we don't have the option to customize our own cancellation policy. My policy is strict for the exact reason that I can't have a booking blocking my calendar, only to be cancelled, leaving no time to be able to rebook the dates. So no, I cannot be flexible on this."

How much you want to bet these are the kind of guests who'd choose the pay half up front option, and then think they were due back 50% of the 50% they paid if they cancelled.

@Sarah977 Yes, I'll bet on that. I'd love to make a bit of money, lol. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Colleen253 how about:

"Hi guest:

COVID has certainly made all sorts of planning difficult! Unfortunately I can't provide additional flexibility. We have to schedule our cleaning crew well in advance of the holidays and compensate them if they have lost the opportunity to celebrate with their own  far flung families by staying on our books during this busy season. I wish you the best in finding an awesome place to stay."

Even if its not true, think a little about SOMEONE ELSE, guest. The world doesn't revolve around your travel yes or no. Other people do a lot of work to prepare for your arrival. Selfish to take up space that you aren't sure you will use and leave others holding the bag. 

@Laura2592 Good point. You're so right, these people are only concerned about themselves, and how they  might be impacted. How about taking out travel insurance, if you're so concerned??

That's where I would go with it, @Colleen253 . That, no, you don't have the flexibility to change your policy for one guest, but the cool thing is that travel insurance is always available. Then give them the link: https://www.airbnb.ca/d/travel-insurance

I love your style @Lawrene0 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 I would go back with 'if it becomes illegal to host due to Covid we will refund all monies received from Airbnb and try to persuade them to refund your service fee' This is what we would have to do by law anyway in the UK.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Hasn’t happened yet, this far in, not likely to even now, but yes you’re on point. I am leaning more toward shutting the door firmly on them even booking, as I don’t really want to host guests with that attitude anyway.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I push inquiries like this as far away from me as possible. "Unfortunately, I do not have flexibility when it comes to cancelation policies. But there are many great places to stay in this area that will better fit your plans. Good luck in your search!" End.

@Emilia42 I knew I’d like whatever you had to put forth.

There were times when my entire Decline message was just "Good luck in your search!"

This would have fit the bill. It's generous to offer an explanation for why you're not granting exceptions to your boundaries, but it's never an obligation.

@Anonymous You’re right, no obligation whatsoever. Part of me wants to take the opportunity to perhaps tune this person in a bit though, which is why I’m considering a response other than ‘nah’. 

@Colleen253  In that case, I would just direct them to the Free Cancellation search filter, so they can see which listings offer the flexibility they're looking for. Benefit of the doubt, maybe they genuinely didn't know this was an option.

I've done a similar thing before when people asked for discounts - I'd send the name of a hostel that was in their target budget. Can't say the gesture was ever appreciated, but usually it ended the conversation. Every now and then, someone would hit back with some version of "but that's not what I want!"  At which point I no longer felt inclined to be polite.

Deirdre12
Level 8
Santa Monica, CA

Hi!  I agree with everyone -- I wouldn't change my strict cancellation policy under any circumstances.  

Just FYI for anyone who wasn't aware, all a guest needs to do to supersede any cancellation policy is to email Airbnb a positive Covid test. I just lost an entire 10-day booking, 3 days before check in, because the guest was not permitted to travel from the UK because of a positive Covid test, and they got Airbnb to supersede my policy and refund them.  Now, of course, it goes without saying that I wouldn't want anyone traveling who has Covid! -- but I am now out thousands of dollars with no help / recompense / assistance from Airbnb. Anyway I am just sharing because I had no idea, I thought that Covid cancellations were a thing of the past and I was wrong.  

Happy hosting to all!