Do you recommend local activities to your guests?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Do you recommend local activities to your guests?

Recommend local activities to guests.jpg

Hi everyone!

Whether it's a nearby attraction, restaurants or hiking trails — sharing local activities and culture with guests can make a huge difference in guest experience, since it gives hosts and guests an opportunity to connect and bond.

Do you often share local culture and events with your guests? What do you often recommend them during their stay?

Have you ever received feedback on how your suggestions shaped their stay?

We would love to hear your recommendations or stories!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

27 Replies 27
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you for sharing @Karen4131 ! 

It is so thoughtful of you to close the listing during winters, especially keeping guest challenges in mind! 

Have you already started researching about what specific solutions you might explore for winter rentals next year? Which idea do you find helpful?

Keep sharing beautiful photos of nature with us 😍

-----

Andreas1184
Level 1
Athens, Greece

Great question! As an Airbnb host in Athens, I take pride in not only offering my guests a comfortable stay but also providing a truly local experience. Being situated near one of the world’s most significant archaeological sites, the city’s rich history is at your doorstep. But Athens is much more than its famous landmarks like the Acropolis or the Parthenon—it's a vibrant city full of hidden gems that often go unnoticed by visitors.

As a local, I’ve spent years exploring this beautiful city and its surroundings, and I love sharing my insights with my guests. I always suggest unique, off-the-beaten-path activities that showcase a different side of Athens. From quiet strolls through ancient neighborhoods like Anafiotika, with its island-like charm, to exploring local markets where you can taste authentic Greek flavors, there’s so much more to discover beyond the main attractions.

Many visitors focus solely on the historical sites, which are absolutely worth seeing, but they often overlook the charming little cafés, artisan shops, and scenic spots nearby that capture the essence of everyday life in Athens. There are beautiful, peaceful parks, family-run tavernas where you can enjoy homemade Greek cuisine, and stunning hilltop views like those from Filopappou Hill, offering breathtaking panoramas of the city and the sea.

By suggesting these local activities, I hope to give my guests a deeper connection to Athens, so they can experience its true spirit and see what makes it such a special place to call home. I believe that these personal recommendations enrich your visit and offer a balance between exploring iconic history and embracing the lively, contemporary culture that makes Athens such a fascinating city.

So, while you’re staying in this historic area, I encourage you to step beyond the tourist paths and immerse yourself in the lesser-known treasures Athens has to offer. Trust me, it will make your visit all the more memorable!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Andreas1184 , thanks so much for sharing a beautiful glimpse of Athens! I can totally sense your passion for local culture and ensuring guests truly enjoy a local experience 🎉

What has been the most memorable feedback you've received from guests about your recommendations?

-----

Heather1521
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

Hi Bhumika!

I absolutely agree that sharing local culture and activities can make a big difference in the guest experience! I always make it a point to provide personalized recommendations based on what I think they’ll enjoy. For example, I often suggest some of the best local hiking trails, hidden gem restaurants, and nearby attractions that aren’t always listed in the typical tourist guides. Guests love those “insider tips”!

One of the most popular recommendations I make is for a local food truck park that serves incredible dishes from different cuisines—guests always rave about it afterward. I’ve had several tell me that those personal suggestions made their stay feel much more unique and memorable.

It’s a great way to help them get a taste of the local vibe, and I think it really strengthens the host-guest connection too. Would love to hear what others recommend as well!

Best,
Heather

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Heather1521 , I'm sure that your guests must be enjoying a fantastic experience with those personalized tips! 😍 

When do you normally share your recommendations — in person on guest arrival or before their arrival via chat messages?

Other hosts have shared fantastic ideas below, if you wished to have a read 🌻

-----

Hey again, Bhumika! At the time of booking, we send a link to our local guidebook and also the link to our cities event page. Once guests arrive at our unit, they will find pages and pages of our favorite restaurants, places to go and things to do in our house manual 🙂 we know when we are on vacation that we don’t want to spend too much time researching where to go, we know the importance of information that you need at your fingertips so we try to keep it simple for our guests

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's so thoughtful of you @Heather1521 🤗 I like your approach of sharing information both before and after arrival. That's definitely a strong strategy to engage with guests.

What other information do you usually add in your house manual other than touristy information?

-----

Leah-Joy0
Level 1
Sedona, AZ

Of course! My family has lived in my town for 200 years and are noted as, “the founders.” As the original settlers, anything anyone is curious to know, I offer my local perspective. Guests have left me 100s of reviews and handwritten letters of thanks!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Leah-Joy0 , it's amazing to hear of such a rich history your family and town! Do you have any particular local stories or landmarks that guests find intriguing? 😍 

Handwritten letters definitely sound a warm way to leave a thank you for you! What do they usually mention in the letters and reviews?

-----

Magen8
Level 1
Paducah, KY

Yes, I offer food and activity recommendations tailored specifically to the guest group. I offer the information upon request as to not bombard my guests with unwanted information but many take me up on the offer and I provide information for their needs during their stay.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Magen8 , thanks for sharing! What kind of activities are popular near your area?

Have you noticed any specific types of recommendations—like certain restaurants or activities—that guests tend to request most often?

-----

Great Question
We recommend visits to the main craft fairs to know the regional culture and guide the main restaurants of local cuisine

Bike rides are recommended to contemplate the structure of the beach, in addition to having some drink at the kiosks of the waterfront.

Here in Brazil we also recommend to make a good barbecue and offer all structure so that this happens, directing local trade for purchase of inputs

I hope to have contributed with these tips

Great Question!!! We recommend visits to the main craft fairs to know the regional culture and guide the main restaurants of local cuisine

Bike rides are recommended to contemplate the structure of the beach, in addition to having some drink at the kiosks of the waterfront.

Here in Brazil we also recommend to make a good barbecue and offer all structure so that this happens, directing local trade for purchase of inputs

I hope to have contributed with these tips