Environmental impact policy: specifically Dettol

Nina980
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Environmental impact policy: specifically Dettol

Re Get access to special deals on Dettol

Could you please clarify for me the impact of this offer and promotion of it, on the environment - and could you please ensure me that you have considered the environmental impact of promoting dettol: wipes, plastic containers, and whether you have considered if and how to promote refills.

Could I please have Airbnb's response to the global environmental/climate crisis, it's policy, aims and objectives - and evidence that you have this at the heart of the organisation, that you are rigorously assessing promotions and advice before release, based on this.

In light of the historical problems, world wide, with non-biodegradable wipes, and with the recent increase in single use plastic and protection wear, and litter, I would hope to see that airbnb, which is ostensibly promoting positive human interaction and connections, has appropriately widened this to cover carbon footprint, ecosystems, water systems, ingress of chemicals into biodiversity, etc. 

As airbnb is indeed a community, it has power and influence. I hope that airbnb understands that to do nothing - is actually active destruction of the environment. Only doubly so with the promotion of non environment positive products and actions.

I await your response with some agitation,
Nina Bentley
Airbnb host
2 Replies 2
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Nina980 

Great comment. 

The other unsustainable product is batteries,. When will people recognise the massive toxicity of these ?  They are everywhere,  from tiny ones to city size operations, not to mention cars. I suspect the third world will inherit mountains of them, ruining groundwater supplies forever..  #weepforthefuture.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Nina980 Yes, I was dismayed and surprised to hear of the Dettol/Airbnb partnership and I imagine many hosts feel the same.  Those wipes are a massive problem and I look forward to the day they are finally banned globally. 

There's also the problem of overuse of disinfectants.  There's ample evidence that indiscriminately eliminating bacteria from surfaces is harmful.  Unless there is a specific need to safeguard against an identified threat (eg someone in the house has a rotavirus) there is no place for disinfectants in a modern home in which occupants have access to running water and soap.