Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Execessive datamining "verify your account"

Erich15
Level 2
Kronberg, Germany

Execessive datamining "verify your account"

Airbnb already has an copy of my ID, no need for more datamining, I already pay fees on my listings.

Serious, that is someway over the top.

4 Replies 4
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Erich15

I'm not sure I understand the issue you ran into, could you telle us a bit more please? You can find more information on ID verification and how it works on the platform here.  

Thanks 🙂 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Verify your Host account

Airbnb has an picture of my ID and I already had bank transactions with Airbnb for two years, that should be very sufficient.

Best Regards.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Erich15 what is being asked of you now that you are objecting to? My guess is that they want a photo of you to compare to the picture on your ID. Is this a big deal? At the end of the day Airbnb has a legal obligation for money laundering and other reasons to know who their customer is.

All that they already got when i started the account, what they want to know is pretty much all personal data one can have about a person.

Strange this was no issue for two years prior, on top of that it is very hard to impersonate in Finland given most registries are open to the public, if you have cause and Airbnb very easy can proof that you can very easy verify a persons identity, usual by using the online banking systhem as usual, pretty much all online accounts in Finland use the banking accounts to verify identity, and theese accounts use two source and tan systhem to verify the user, you need to obtain a persons password, smartphone and tan's sheet if you want to impersonate, someone with that much criminal energy would beat any other systhem too with ease.

There is zero reason to milk hosts for personal data.