Extenuating circumstances- Students Visa and Travel restrictions

Extenuating circumstances- Students Visa and Travel restrictions

Hi! 
I need help with the extenuating circumstances full refund under the policy details: 

Changes to government travel requirements. Unexpected changes to visa or passport requirements imposed by a governmental agency that prevent travel to the destination. This doesn’t include lost or expired travel documents or other personal circumstances relating to a guest’s authorisation to travel.

I wrote to my host and made a full refund request stating that I have a delay in my visa process caused by the embassy and another body that monitors students like me, which directly affects my travel as this comes under the government travel requirements. She not only cancelled my request but also trashed me for even asking. 

Now, I'm not able to apply for a refund on the lines of the policy, due to the host.

I request some help! I am a student, I cannot afford to lose money for no fault of mine. 

6 Replies 6
Johanna394
Level 10
Tampere, Finland

@Kalpika0 

Do you have some kind of travel/student/etc insurance you could attempt to submit a claim to? I am not sure this would work or be covered, but could be worth the try if applicable.

Also, based on what you wrote, it would seem that your circumstance falls under the "other personal circumstances relating to a guest’s authorisation to travel", which is not covered by extenuating circumstances policy. I understand this must feel most troublesome to you, but as you yourself stated, it is a  delay in the process, instead of an actual, unexpected change imposed by the government.

Correct me if I misunderstood something.

Thank you for suggesting it, @Johanna394. I will check if my travel insurance covers this.

As the visa issue comes under the government, I understood that it would imply any changes/delays caused by them. Without which it would be illegal for me to travel to any country.

I am left in a difficult situation as even after asking my host, they have been hostile to both, changing dates or even cancelling.

Hi @Kalpika0 🙂

Airbnb handles everything that has to do with extenuating circumstances, refunds etc. It will also be Airbnb CS that makes the decision when it comes to refund in your situation. If your situation is what Airbnb sees as an extenuating circumstance then they will refund you. Hosts do not have a saying. 
The host is not paid until after a guest checks in - Airbnb keeps the money for safety reasons. You can contact Airbnb via you reservation. 
Best, Sandra 

@Kalpika0 Extenuating circumstances when it comes to visa etc. got more to do with if it suddenly is impossible to travel to a certain destination - like many can’t travel to Russia right now because of the war with Ukraine. Unfortunately I don’t think a situation like yours is covered as it is of a more personal matter. You don’t have your papers in time for travelling - it is not your fault but it is not an extenuating circumstance as if the borders where suddenly closed down for everyone. But definitely contact Airbnb as they are the ones making the decision. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kalpika0 

I'm sorry you are in this situation - but issues relating to visa's student or otherwise aren't covered by Airbnb's EC policy.

If you know there is a risk you may not be able to travel due to visa issues then it is much better to book accommodation with a flexible cancellation policy, because as you say you can't afford to lose money if you need to cancel.

The clause you quote related to government restrictions against travel ie because of Covid NOT issues related to your visa not coming through.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Kalpika0 

I'm so sorry to hear about this.  Have you been in touch with Airbnb yet?  

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines