[FESTIVAL] Embracing Inclusiveness: Our Journey as Airbnb Hosts at Hidden Gem

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

[FESTIVAL] Embracing Inclusiveness: Our Journey as Airbnb Hosts at Hidden Gem

When my husband and I first embarked on our journey as Airbnb hosts, we set out with the intention of sharing our home with others. Growing up in Australia, we both were brought with words diversity and multiculturalism. Today, Australia's population is a made up of many cultures from over 152 countries, and the word used today is Inclusiveness.

Our beach cottage “Hidden Gem” is located one street from the beach and as hosts we try to embrace and welcome all our guests, no   matter who they are or where they come from. Just like the beach, it welcomes every wave that comes ashore.

This year we have tried to spread our “Caring and Sharing” awareness of Inclusiveness. We believe that hospitality begins with welcoming Guests from all walks of life no matter what their background is or language, race, religion, or physical needs.

At “Hidden Gem” we welcome our Guests with the approach is “Hands On” style of Hosting. We send personalised welcome note,

thanking guests for choosing our “Hidden Gem” cottage and assuring them that we will be in touch a week before their stay. Our next message stating on arrival they will be greeted at our main residence, distinguished by its red door.

Hidden Gem 1.png

I consider communication is another important link with our future Guest ensuring that our Guests have our contact information for emergency and encourage them to contact us via Airbnb messages for non-urgent matters.

One practice I find important is asking for the names of family members or guests, especially children and their ages, so we can prepare for their little ones. accordingly. If required we provide essentials like a Porta Cot, highchair, baby bath, nappy bin and bed and extra linen. We also offer toys and books that are suitable for the children’s age to ensure a relaxing stay for their parents.

Accessibility is part of inclusiveness and while our cottage has its limitations, we have made efforts to accommodate guests with mobility needs by offering features like wide doorways, a step free entrance, shower with no hob with an adjustable shower head. The living area is an open plan designed living space for easy movement.

If necessary, we can provide access via our carport with a flat driveway instead of pebble path, ensuring safety and comfort.   

Hidden Gem 2.png Hidden Gem 3.png

Wide doorway                                                                             No hob in shower

Hidden Gem 4.png Hidden Gem 5.png

Open living space with room for mobility aides.

Offering a variety of amenities can enhance Guests stay and make them feel welcome. Such as, books, games, universal charges and cables for international adaptors, personal care products, comfortable bedding, extra pillows and blankets.

We provide information folder with a directory for medical and chemist, supermarkets and eatery and a map of the area with activities.

Language is considered and Airbnb message app has translation, and it tells me after a message that it has been used. An annoying factor is Guest information is not up to date. I now, check their telephone prefix number and as to what country they are from. I now write a welcome note in their language. Their facial expressions or little note left tells me they appreciate the extra effort I have made.

A well-stocked kitchen with cooking tools and utensils are available to use for possible dietary and or cultural way of preparing their meals.

Hidden Gem 6.png

Kitchen

We enhance our guests' experience by offering thoughtful amenities, such as books, games, universal chargers, international adapters, personal care products, and comfortable bedding with extra pillows and blankets. An information folder is provided, containing a directory of medical services, chemists, supermarkets, eateries, and a map of the area with recommended activities.

We make sure our Guests feel safe and have their privacy. All the doors and windows have secure locks.  If needed, we offer rooms that can be darkened and a quiet space if they have medical reasons. The private garden is for our Guests only, giving them a peaceful place to relax.

Hidden Gem 7.png Hidden Gem 8.png

Back varandah                                                                                  Back garden

At our “Hidden Gem” cottage we strive to create a welcoming space that respects diversity of all our guests. Through our efforts we hope to encourage other Hosts to make inclusiveness as an important approach to hospitality with their Airbnb.

I thought I would leave a little bit of beach art that I have made and put it on our handmade cards for those special occasions.

Hidden Gem 9.png Hidden Gem 10.png

0 Replies 0