[FESTIVAL] Enhancing guest experiences through local engagement

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

[FESTIVAL] Enhancing guest experiences through local engagement

When we consider how to mitigate loneliness, we can do so from a social perspective and  involve our community.

Guests may be traveling with older people, family members who need care, or children. In these cases and many more, it’s not only important to open up our home. We can take it to the next level with the help of our neighbors, local businesses, or cultural activities that immerse guests in our environment. This not only benefits our guests, but also our neighbors.

At my house in Tacoronte, Spain, my neighbor, Lola, enjoys chatting with our guests. They often come to her home to see the wonderful plants she takes care of every day. Lola is an older person who seeks to chat with travelers even if she doesn’t know exactly how to communicate in their language. Our guests seem to appreciate this too: They frequently tell us how Lola came to greet them and gave them avocados from her tree.

At the nearby corner café, Rosi not only serves local visitors with love, but also offers a sincere smile to our guests.

For Lola, Rosi, and many of our local traders, these interactions with people from around the world are a source of pride and joy. 

The same goes for the cultural activities that take place in our village, located in the Canary Islands. Guests tell us they love to come and see the local traditions and festivals.

In 2014, guests Anna and Marnix, from Germany and the Netherlands respectively, decided to spend a few months on the island. While Anna was writing her final thesis, Marnix was working remotely. He shared that it was difficult for him to reconcile this time of life— spending many hours in front of the computer. Although I could chat with him during the week and schedule activities over the weekend, I thought Marnix would benefit from connecting more with the surroundings. I recommended he try a co-working space where he could meet other people and learn more about life in the Canary Islands. He did so, and to this day, he still has friendships from that time.

Local guides and recommendations help guests take part in the community. Consider sharing recommendations for:

• Assistance for older adults or children
  • Upcoming cultural activities, like youth festivals or meetups for older adults
  • Local businesses where guests can really feel like they belong

And now, tell me about you, how do you incorporate guests in your community?

Here are some local celebrations where I invited my guests to enjoy and feel part of the community. My dog, Malba, also enjoys going.

Local Engagement 1.jpegLocal Engagement 2.jpegMy husband and I sharing a coffee with Michael and Luisa in the square and talking about activities around the island.My husband and I sharing a coffee with Michael and Luisa in the square and talking about activities around the island.

Claudia,  Delphine, Tatiya, and I are sharing our experiences with addressing loneliness through hosting and look forward to reading about your experiences. Read what Claudia, Delphine and Tatiya have to share about their experiences below: 

2 Replies 2
Dr-Jayanthi1
Level 10
Coimbatore, India

@Daniel1651 awesome to know that stays at your home are experiences in all aspects. I am a strong believer of the fact that airbnb stays are so unique that every stay can be taken as an experience (even though I cant currently open up "airbnb experiences" 😜. Each host creates a special space and its a great gesture to open ones house to strangers - who many a times bring in potential long term connections.  It is so heartwarming to have your neighbours greet and collaborate with you. Supporting local business is definitely a win for the airbnb ecosystem. I dream of the day when my neighbours strip their shade of envy over my financial benefits as an Airbnb host and adorn vibrant shades of love and companionship to bring in guests across the globe.

I love what I am doing and hope to translate it to all my guests and make memorable experience's.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Daniel1651  Thank you for sharing your thoughtful article of addressing loneliness by involving and engaging in your community.  It is what I would call Sharing is Caring.

Your story about Lola and the local cafe shows the power with small gestures can help build relationships. It’s inspiring to see how, being a Host and your home is a place where both guests and neighbors feel connected.

Laurelle from Downunder.