[FESTIVAL] How unforgettable stories shaped my Airbnb journey

[FESTIVAL] How unforgettable stories shaped my Airbnb journey

Daniela2903_2-1725882941893.png

Dear Hosts, Daniela here! 😃

Unforgettable stories have shaped my journey, and today, I’m excited to share some of these special moments with you. Each story carries a piece of my heart, and I hope they bring warmth to yours. While I’m not one for pictures, the notes left by my guests fill my inspiration board and keep me motivated each day.

I’ve always dreamed of owning a small, cozy hotel—a place to welcome people from all walks of life. My introduction to Airbnb came during a pivotal time while living in the Netherlands. Amid a family dispute, a generous host from the Amsterdam Mamas group offered her home to my family for the night. Though I declined, that act of kindness planted the seed for my hosting journey. I owe my introduction to Airbnb to Emmy and Silvia, who inspired me to embark on this path.

Today, my mission with Airbnb is to offer an affordable, welcoming space where people of all income levels can experience the magic of Aruba. My goal was never to make the island seem cheap but to ensure that everyone, regardless of their financial situation, could create lasting memories here. I strive to be the host who provides five-star service with a big smile and a warm heart, knowing that everyone is fighting their own secret battles.

The St. John Hopkins Guest

One sunny Sunday, a guest arrived at 3 PM, walking under the scorching sun with nothing but a backpack. He seemed to carry a heavy burden despite his light luggage. I invited him to sit and chat on the garden porch. As soon as he sat down, he leaned back, as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders. I asked him if everything was okay. He replied with a simple "yes." I asked again, and this time, his eyes filled with tears.

I reassured him, "You don’t need to share anything, but know that this humble space is dedicated to those who seek to escape, find themselves, and heal under the blue sky. It may not be fancy or classy, but I can offer you suggestions and assure you that you’re on the safest island in the Caribbean." I then introduced him to four other guests, and as it turned out, they ended up renting a car together and spent the entire week as a group.

When it was time for him to leave, he hugged me tightly and said, "This was the best vacation I’ve had in a very long time." He shared that his job at St. John Hopkins was demanding, and he had arrived in Aruba right after having to fire someone, which weighed heavily on him.

Hosting, for me, is about moments like these. It’s about opening my doors to those who truly need a break, offering them a chance to recharge in a majestic destination like Aruba. With its turquoise waters and warm-hearted people, Aruba is a place where my guests feel safe and never alone. Every tourist I meet becomes my guest, and how I treat them shapes their impression of Aruba.

The Transatlantic Lovers

Ah, COVID-19—a time that tested the strength of many relationships. It separated lovers, fortified some connections, and shattered others. COVID-19 was a catalyst that brought sadness but also reminded us of our shared humanity.

During the pandemic, Aruba became a neutral meeting point for many couples. The government was hands-on and strict, and we locals knew that if we didn’t take proper precautions, we could all be at risk. At one point, the island had zero cases, and for a brief moment, it felt like we were living in a bubble. This story is about a pair of lovers who hadn’t seen each other in eight months, and they chose my tiny studio as their reunion spot.

Back then, my porch was the place to be. We all chatted while maintaining social distance, and it was a blissful experience. When they each arrived separately and locked eyes for the first time in months, it was pure joy. He was from Italy, and she was from San Francisco, USA. They met here after eight long months apart, and it was clear that this was true love.

Another couple, originally from the Dominican Republic but living in NYC, had also booked a stay during that time. Over two weeks, the two couples formed a deep friendship. In 2022, I received a message from the second couple—they were in Italy attending the wedding of the transatlantic lovers! It was a beautiful reminder that friendships can form not just between hosts and guests but also among guests themselves.

The Yogi/ Notary

During the same COVID-19 season, July 2020 another pair of lovers booked a stay with me, hoping to reconnect. However, the male partner didn’t show up. Days after checking out, my guest discovered that he was seeing someone else. As I always tell my guests, even after you’ve checked out, I’m here if you need me. True to my word, I got a call from her. She was stranded on the island, far from home in the Netherlands. Heartbroken, she cried and cried, and I welcomed her back into my home.

The universe works in mysterious ways. During her stay, I learned that she was a lawyer who had resigned from practicing law because she felt people were too greedy. We spent time together, and a friendship blossomed. I encouraged her, saying that sooner or later, she would meet the true love of her life and return to practicing law. A little over a year later, during Christmas, she called to share some wonderful news. She had returned to law, was now a candidate notary, and was enjoying her career. Ever since her stay she messages during Christmas and Valentine’s Day She had also met a wonderful man, and when we last spoke, they had adopted a dog and moved into a new apartment.

As hosts, we have the power to influence lives. We are the conduits of memories, helping others reconnect with themselves and with humanity. By serving one another, we create lasting bonds and unforgettable experiences.

Happy hosting!

Daniela2903_3-1725882941894.png

1 Reply 1
Dr-Jayanthi1
Level 8
Coimbatore, India

@Daniela2903 - each story is an everlasting impression. Love the way you make time to interact with your guests and leave behind a meaningful message. You are nothing but a blessing to the host community. Best wishes on your journey.