Festival of Hospitality 2023 ๐Ÿก Eat. Stay. Love: A Language We All Understand

Soraya19
Level 8
Mumbai, India

Festival of Hospitality 2023 ๐Ÿก Eat. Stay. Love: A Language We All Understand

This story is dedicated to Purvi, a lovely Airbnb guest, and to Airbnb for bringing us together.

Anna woke up feeling refreshed; she drew the blinds, and quickly jumped out of bed. The bright rays of the sun came shining in. The night had been so restful in the cozy room at the 'Traveller's Terrace Oasis,' her homestay in Mumbai - the City that Never Sleeps. How ironic! 

She showered, dressed, and began brushing her hair. Looking around the room at the colourful space, her gaze fell upon the little artifacts sitting on tiny shelves all seaming to say "Aren't you so happy here?" A wooden clock, a modern nightligt, a straw basket, and some interesting books amidst a rather large bougainvillea elephant. Instantly she understood now, why the room was called exactly that! 

While grabbing her mobile from the worktable, she noticed three handpainted pictures all in watercolour placed carefully beneath the glass top of the table. The paintings were titled, 'Breakfast,' 'Lunch,' and 'Dinner' and were signed (Purvi R.) by the skilled artist who had described what exactly was served plate.

This made Anna feel sudden hunger pains. "How long have I been on an empty stomach?" she thought. 

"Good afternoon Anna," said her host. "I am guessing you overslept. You must have been exhausted; please join us for lunch." 

"Lunch?!" 

"Yes its 2 pm. You missed your breakfast."

Anna loved the food, it wasn't just the taste of the rice or the spice in the curry, it was the flavours of the experience that felt special. "So much to be grateful for," she thought. One of our greatest fortunes is how we react to things. She was overwhelmed.

Anna had felt kindness. Her stay was more than just comfortable, hygienic, peaceful, and safe... it was an overdose of emotion. She understood why the three paintings had taken such a significant place in the room. 

Like Anna, Purvi too, had simply relished the home-cooking at the homestay. She had expressed herself about it in her reviews, saying how gracious the hosts were to serve her some of her favourite little dishes. Especially the tamarind chutney. 

It was Purvi who had posted these epic artworks that spoke so much. Much more than the food itself. 

Food is an experience and surely hosting has the unique feature of bringing people together through memorable moments sharing meals and conversations. Besides offering guests' accommodation, a comfortable space with exceptional amenities, it also offers them the opportunity to make incredible friendships. It introduces them to new cultures and insightful information on history, art, music, architecture, and cuisine. 

In my journey as a host, I discovered the importance of the moments around my dining table as the most meaningful. I was fully convinced that a home-cooked meal will instantly welcome the guest in a way that nothing else can. So, hospitality and food go hand in hand, agree?

Confirming this were the reviews from guestsโ€™ I have hosted, who have often spoken of hot lunches, yummy dinners, and tasty breakfasts... โ€œall so delicious!โ€ 

Niharika from Delhi reviewed her stay by complimenting the meals served: โ€œI was spoiled silly with the fresh warm breakfast and the finger-licking delicacies that they would churn out for lunch.โ€ 

After reading so many compliments on the 'love of eating together,' I was convinced that the food connection brings people worldwide together with an almost irrefutable idea of a good time.

Gina from California: โ€œFrom the moment we stepped through the doorway we were greeted like old friends and shown the sort of hospitality that left us at a loss for words (perhaps also due in part to our mouths being full of delicious homemade food!)โ€

Going back to Purvi's story, I was excited when she said that she was due to revisit my city. She wanted to book the room again and bring her friend, Tulna along. Perfect I thought, and was looking forward to cooking up a storm to greet these two young ladies on their arrival. Recipes, ingredients, menus all popped up in my mind. It was going to be another opportunity to meet and eat and stay together. 

Purvi and Tulna brought a bag of snacks from Baroda, some chocolate fudge and brownies - the brand I love the most. 

She had also baked a lemon and almond cake to share for my daughter's birthday. It smelt divine. Her visit again was celebrated around the table. Eating, laughing, and enjoying the best of each other's company and most of all sharing food. Another 5 star review. 

More food for thought. 

Soraya19_0-1693316067296.jpeg

Soraya19_1-1693316067317.jpeg

Soraya19_2-1693316067472.jpeg

Soraya19_3-1693316067403.jpeg

Soraya19_4-1693316067344.jpeg

Soraya19_5-1693316067364.jpeg

11 Replies 11
Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

You've captured the essence of what makes Airbnb stays special - it's not just about the place, but the people and the moments shared. I was particularly moved by how you and Purvi connected over food and art, two universal languages that bring people together. Your story resonated with me so much that I've wishlisted your listing for my future travels to Mumbai. I can't wait to experience the hospitality and home-cooked meals that you offer. Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story. 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

PS: i love your colorful quilts. Are they locally sourced?

Yes they are locally sourced โ˜บ๏ธ

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

I feel like i need to bring extra luggages so i can hoard those blankets hahaha

Thank you so much Bea for appreciating this story.. You are most welcome to our home โค We will await your visit. ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Soraya19 thank you for sharing your expression of your hospitality with your guest.

As you have said there can be many stories and tales told around the dinner table with memories to take away.

The drawings in your collection did you do them or a local artist.

Hey Laurelle..I am not sure which ones your talking about but the ones on my wall were done by a Japanese guest!โค

@Soraya19 the pictures (botanical drawings  were of the plants.

Minako10
Level 10
Chiba, Japan

@Soraya19 

It was a good time for you to spend many hosts and eat the bread.

It looks like so delicious bread!

I also ate it like a same above pictures that my student classmate gave me when I graduated my college in 2022.

That's a type of peanuts. Biting a little, so hard...but good taste ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks,

Minako
Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

Oh the power of good home cooked meal and conversation! I I am so hungry after reading your story and am now dreaming of a holiday to India.  I love your story, what an incredible experience for your guests!    

Hello Felicity...Thank you for commenting and appreciating my story. Do come to India...would love to have you stay and host you with love!โ™ฅ๏ธ