Final straw! ECP extended to June - NO support from $250 million fund!

Andrew1928
Level 5
Te Anau, New Zealand

Final straw! ECP extended to June - NO support from $250 million fund!

I got an email saying 3 of my June reservations (I only have 2) will fall under the extenuating circumstances policy. Full refund to guests and NO support for hosts from $250 million fund!

I called Airbnb to discuss and a case manager just sent me the link to the $250 million fund info which does not even apply to June reservations!

Anyone else get this email?

68 Replies 68

Interesting approach, I was going to offer discounts to move, but like the idea of forcing them to recommit - how have guests responded?

I was able to fill mine immediately with competitor and one rebooked and now three days prior to arrival they want to move to OCT.!  Sorry......this is abuse and thank god I did that.  I took a gamble to lose the 25% and it paid off.  Can't pay bills with these kind of renters.  They recommitted May 1, 2020 and sorry no grace.  There are no extenuating circumstances that changed from May 1 to May 15 th!!!!

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

I am afraid the situation will have some negative consequences for everyone. No one can say that he will win over the situation. And if nobody ever used the booking, what to compensate for the property owners? I do not see any reason they have to be compensated. It is force major situation, I believe everyone understands it. I am from Tokyo, crossing webcam. We will have losses here as well.

I am greatly concerned and grieve by Airbnb's latest email that came yesterday regarding the June reservations. I've been a Superhost for nearly 5 years and was a participant in an interview about three weeks ago regarding this situation. At that time I told the Airbnb "listeners:" that I love the Airbnb community. However, I think this is their first major "mis-step".  As a community, they rely on hosts and guests. The cancelation penalty should be shared between guests/hosts at 50/50. In our area, the virus is not an issue. We are in a rural mountain community and a place that people are seeking to get away to. Hosts should be allowed to share what their individual situations are like and keep to their original cancelation penalties. It seems that Airbnb has gone around hosts and catered to guests. I'm afraid that Airbnb corporate has lost sight of their original vision and they also need great expertise from those who've been in the travel industry longer. Other platforms are showing more care for their hosts.

@Stacy-And-John0 , I got the letter a few days ago as well, it doesn't really affect us so much cause we have always had the most liberal cancellation policy anyways, so they could always get the bulk of their payment back as long as they canceled at least 24 hours out.  That has worked well for us but were less of a vacation destination and more of just a descent place to stay if your in the area for something.  That said, I've had many cancellations as well as a few new bookings cause like you, were kinda in the middle of nowhere, no major outbreaks of anything but boredom and Bearpath Lodging is open for business.

I understand how tough this has been to try to keep floating when the waters are so turbulent, your in good company here.  Unfortunately a major part of the confusion and anger is about cancellation vs extenuating circumstances.  Were all calling them cancellations cause that's the action that is taking place but in reality, its not a cancellation for the most part even if its the "Cancel" button folks are hitting to empty our calendars cause there is no "EC" button.  

You've been doing this for 5 years so your likely happy that Airbnb is a global community of both hosts and guests, lots of visitors from everywhere is both enriching intellectually but also monetarily.  This is one of those times that not doing business completely on a local level could be a negative, our personal situations as hosts in particular is not really what matters to a global community.  If the guest can't travel or hosts can't host for one of 20 perfectly reasonable "beyond their control" extenuating circumstances, its part in parcel to theft not to return monies if services cannot be rendered due to the virus.   The only way to deal with that en mass at the corporate AIrbnb level is group policy based on generalizations and it has favored the customer first as has best practices of commerce since the beginning of time.

Hopefully the holes that EC's  leave in your calendar can and will be filled with new bookings that will happen and not cancel.  Thats a possibility and the thing I'm focusing on in light of changes that are opening up parts of the world to business, how to do this safely every time until the cure is available?  We have taken some steps already and expect that more will be necessary, happily we have a great community here that will share their wins and losses with us so we all don't have to experience everything before getting it right. Stay well, JR

Alex---Michael0
Level 6
Berlin, Germany

Here is my update and good by:

Airbnb keeps violating their own rules and now overruled me in 4 cases outside their EC policy. They don't even allow a discussion about it and simply send standard messages, not answering a single question of mine.

I had six listings, now I deleted four of them and the two others will follow mid May. I DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF THIS PLATFORM ANYMORE! It's not only the corona situation, it started some years ago since airbnb constantly favors guests, even the liars and mentally sick ones. ENOUGH. I lost this business and will surely give up income. BUT, I want to keep my sanity and not be dependent on a narcissist anymore.

I'm out!

Please follow me and don't let a (former) monopolist take your dignity!!!

@Alex---Michael0 

Its probably as good a time as ever to change listing providers. Do you have a view on what a good alternative is?

HA saved our rears on being held to contract.  If it was not for them we would be in the negative!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Andrew1928 

Hello to you fellow New Zealanders down South from up here in Auckland.

See my reply to @Jen5 ..

He & his associates need to be held to account. Ditto Dr Mike G Baker who has been an unaccountable Public Health Advisor to Government for too long.

He's a long term close buddy of Phil Tywford theTwit who both met through the 20 plus bedroom property known as TheBigHouse at 42 St Georges Bay Rd, Parnell in the 1980's and are radicals...

They have been singing praises together a long time - Baker wrote research papers about ABB effects on housing in NZ, yet doesn't appear to abide by the law himself...

We'll worth a read to see who is calling the shots and telling us "you must etc"..

We live in a democratic society and those named have no right to give directions outside of their legal qualifications & scope of practice.

We ABB folk and those at the coalface will sort things out one way or another. 

Keep smiling 😸 our guests will be back!

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera, Auckland , New Zealand 

ElenaandNick0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Why can't we as hosts get a simple answer from Airbnb regarding guests refund policy? We all know that Airbnb provide two options to guests when they cancel: voucher with full amount for future stays or 50% cash refund. Where does the other 50% goes? The answer is easy: to Airbnb leaving already struggled host to literally to starve. Why don't Airbnb offer vouchers for future stays with the same host???

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What am I missing? Outside of those hosts that want to cancel their existing bookings so they can switch to LTR (Long Term Renting), why would any hosts want to cancel any reservation, at all. Let the guest cancel and then no need to worry about anything else. Or encourage them to move their reservation into the future and if they still do not do so, it is all a moot point anyway. I have no idea how Airbnb would treat a booking that was not cancel, didn't show up but still exists as a payout during the next two months.

Disclaimer: none of my guests for May or June because Belize (where tourism is practically its only industry) hysterically decided last night that no international flights will be allowed for the next two months (until July 1st), despite they have had only 14 cases total and 2 people die, supposedly from Coronavirus.

'none of my guests' should read:  "All of my guests for May & June have been moved forward because..."

Mila4
Level 2
Kotor, Montenegro

I would love to cancel, but they wont let me without penalties.. How is that possible?

Chris197
Level 2
St Kilda East, Australia

I've been a SH for 4 and a bit years in Melbourne, and gone from 29 of 30 nights every mth down to zero. Not a single booking left in the calendar until October. - clearly that hasn't been enough to get an invite to any relief...

Maybe this has been answered but I've assumed that because I have a full flexible cancellation policy which has worked well for attracting bookings in the past, none of the cancellations have anything "due" to me? 

I find this absolutely disgusting that they can at the same time create a response that pays nothing to hosts with that policy and simultaneously, right now on the front page of the site, publish articles encouraging hosts to take steps to get their booking a back on track BY PROVIDING FLEXIBLE CANCELLATION POLICIES?!?! 

If I have this wrong I would very much appreciate clarification - but this is just about as crooked as it comes to me.