Flagging up oddballs!

Paula1598
Level 1
Ipplepen, United Kingdom

Flagging up oddballs!

In 5 years of hosting we have had just a handfull of people we never want to see again!

The " would you host them again" button is helpful, but what about warning other hosts?

We have an oddball in at the moment, who hasn't been a problem, other than helped himself to our part of the garden and sat there looking into our private rooms!

He will be getting the " Don't want you back" button, but what about other hosts?

He doesn't deserve a negative review, but a warning review that allows hosts to read between the lines?

Perhaps " Thank you for your custom" and nothing else?

Or " Thanks for booking ( name of property ) nothing else?

Oddly nearly every single male we have hosted has caused us an issue.

From, what appeared to be a "tinder hookup" or worse!

To bringing back a woman he had met for......well the rest is obvious.

To be honest we wouldn't take single males given the choice...but that's not possible.

Interested in your views.

Have a happy and safe season.

Paula

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paula1598 Your 2 suggested review wordings wouldn't tell me anything, I wouldn't consider them to be a warning if I read them.

Do you make it clear to guests which part of the garden is theirs to use and which part is private? Is there outdoor seating in the guest area?

I would mention anything positive about the guest if there is some, and then say something like "We experienced some lack of respect for unshared private areas of the host" as long as you make it clear to guests which areas are accessible to them. If you just expected him to somehow understand that he shouldn't sit there, that's on you.

FYI I've hosted a lot of single guys and they have all been super respectful. 

@Paula1598 Do your House Rules explicitly prohibit bringing unregistered guests onto your property? 

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Paula1598 you state this in your listing "We have a large private front garden that is available for use at any time by our residents and more adjacent to the annexe we have provided a table and chairs for your use." I would think this provides access to the whole garden unless I'm reading it wrong?

I don't see this as being an odd thing at all with the guest not knowing where your private rooms are located (since he does not know the layout of your property). I think he chose a spot to relax in your garden that he liked and it happened to be where your rooms were. If this was the only thing he did I would forgive it as human error and not provide a bad review at all.

Jorge