Goodbye Airbnb. I quit.

Paul1105
Level 7
Cleveland, OH

Goodbye Airbnb. I quit.

Is there even a point in expressing why? Surely, the post will be deleted. Suffice to say, karma is not very nice. What you reap, you sow. We've just hosted our last guest.  Plenty more are booked but they'll have to find accommodation elsewhere.  I didn't quit because of the money, with only one room in our home and an additional guest house, we brought in over $70,000 last year. But the money isn't worth it. 

It wasn't always this way. It was great in the beginning. Things have changed and not for the better. With no venue to discuss real issues, not even here, there was no point in continuing. 

After calling to terminate my relationship with Airbnb,  I noticed that my previously deleted question has been reinstated. But it's too late for that. I have no time for games. 

12 Replies 12
Leslie594
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Completely agree!!!! Airbnb supports NEITHER their guests (personal experience) or hosts (Superhost? Who **bleep**ing cares. Airbnb doesn't. We are heading off to live in our rental for the year and when I return to renting in the summer it WILL NOT be with this useless organization.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Why do you say that we are useless? We are part of the show... How would you like to improve things? This is a genuine question. I care. Whats up from your perspective?

William1435
Level 1
Virginia, United States

I want to quit but can't contact them.  How do we let them know we are done?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you don't want to host anymore and you don't have any up and coming bookings just go into your listing and delete it @William1435 

Yasmine82
Level 3
Wappingers Falls, NY

Why? Can you tell me what was the last straw? 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

This is an OLD post @Yasmine82 !

Interestingly, the original poster Paul, did not quit after all; if you click his name & bring up his profile, he is still hosting! 

@Helen350 

Oh! - on second take, I see that the post is about a year old! The post fascinated me because I did not see much in an explanation as to why he was “done” 😉

and it’s good to see that he still hosting LOL!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's hilarious when people like @Paul1105  huff and puff about leaving Airbnb and then a year later you see them still using the platform 

sounds like the income is more important than the principle. 😁 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3 

Helen, I huff and puff about Airbnb, but in reality, it is out of sympathy for others.

I have had the greatest experience with Airbnb, sure they aren't perfect......who is?

There are not words to describe the wonderful people that Airbnb have brought into my life, I would love to detail those experiences again but...... it just gets boring! 

You can't manufacture the lovely stays that come out of nowhere!

If I can just take the liberty of relating one to you.....

Monica and Dave were from Mt Macedon in Victoria. They belonged to a world wide service club and had a 67 year old Japanese woman named Sakura here as part of an exchange program. They wished to show Sakura some of the Australian outback so took her to the Flinders Ranges in my state. On return back to Mt Macedon they booked to stay here for one evening, being the half way point between the Flinders Ranges and home.

It was a lovely warm evening and we were all sitting out in the garden having a drink or two and a cheese plate and the conversation got around to me having a piano in my man cave! Sakura asked if she could see the piano so, we all moved into the mancave!

The next few hours were pure magic! Sakura sat down at that piano and was, hand down, the best jazz pianist I have ever heard. We got a mess of Indian food, polished off a few bottles of wine, and had a night I will take to my grave. Here is Monica's review.....

Monika review.png

You can't plan or engineer nights like this, they come out of nowhere.....but there have been so many of them and they have enriched my life so much.

With hosting we do need to keep a balance, sure I know lots of hostings here go off the rails but I need to say that....most don't, they make our lives better!

Cheers.......Rob 

Rhonda258
Level 1
Ohio, United States

I have notice a Big Change here on this platform. I am Not liking Air BNB either. I feel like they are being very pushy and pushing Quest on to you and then Fine you for Not Confirming them.  Its made me really think about even doing this any longer. This is my Home , I'm doing the Work and Hosting the people. Not them... 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Absolutely it's a free market @Rhonda258  if Airbnb doesn't work for you - just list with other listing companies/set your STR business up to take direct bookings. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Paul1105 

Oh no I am so sorry. Don't want to lose you. What is the solution you would wish for in the issue that you are up against?

Am thinking from the perspective of ourselves at the helm. How would you handle it?