Guest bookings

Kevin1855
Level 3
Lancaster, PA

Guest bookings

Hi,

I participate in the instant booking function.  But If I decline a booking request because it doesn't meet all of my criteria...i.e. No Recommendations...that's not held against me is it?

The communication hasn't been great since the request was made and my gut is saying don't do it.

Thank you,

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kevin1855 Declining a booking request affects your Acceptance rate, but that's not an issue unless you decline lots if them, which could prompt a warning from Airbnb. Acceptance doesn't factor into Superhost stays, either.

But if you can't make having reviews a requirement for requests. If you do that and it comes to Airbnb's attention, that could get you in trouble.

The whole reason that IB hosts have the option to require recommendations is because when guests IB, you don't have an opportunity to communicate with them first. The way a guest communicates, whether they answer any questions you pose in a clear and timely manner, is what hosts who don't use IB rely on to decide whether to accept a guest if they have no reviews to go on.

Hosts who are accustomed to using IB seem to put far too much faith, IMO, in guest ratings, which non-IB hosts aren't even privy to. Hosts have had terrible guest experiences with some guests who had previous 5* reviews. It's not some assurance of a great guest.

Of course if you are getting a bad feeling about a guest due to what they are telling you , their manner, or feel they are being dishonest or evasive, that is enough reason to decline a request. As is seeing that they have some past bad reviews. But simply that a guest is new to the platform and has no reviews isn't really a good reason in itself to decline them. 

If you aren't aware, Inquiries do not require that you click on pre-approve or decline at all- just messaging back within 24 hours is all that's needed. If it's a Request, you do need to accept or decline within 24 hours, unless you can convince the guest to withdraw the request.

Kevin1855
Level 3
Lancaster, PA

I think that's helpful...it was a request to book and there has been a few messages back and forth since the request came in.  But then I received an email from Airbnb advising I need to respond.  maybe it was auto generated.?  

I think what you're saying is if I don't respond at all, it's a problem that could negatively effect me.  i.e. I don't accept it, I don't decline it and there is no communication at all.

Thank you,

Kevin,

I’ve been following your situation and my situation  is similar and I’d like your opinion. 
I have a no review no accept mindset, perhaps too rigid. If I receive a request from someone who’s a newbie to the ABNB and they have no reviews I usually question them on what the purpose of the stay and who is coming. 
if I get info like I’m catching up with a few of my mates or it’s a birthday or end of year catch up the alarm bells start to ring. Past experiences with this type of request indicates after hours noise, drinking etc and complaints from my neighbours. 
Recently have had a series of that type of request and have declined them. Then I get the AirBnB warning that threatens the suspension of my listing.

AbnB aren’t at all helpful in my communication 

with them. 
do you have any advice please?

Alan

Kevin1855
Level 3
Lancaster, PA

And my gut was right. The person who was booking my property wasn't going to stay there - she was booking it for another family member.  That's not cool and did not float my boat.

@Kevin1855 Ha, good  spidey sense. You should always follow your intuition if it's putting up red flags.

For requests, you don't have the option to just ignore the deadline for accepting or declining. That's only for Inquiries. 

If you fail to either accept or decline a request within 24 hours (unless the guest withdraws it before that), that will lower your response rate, which is more frowned upon than a less than perfect accwptance rate. Response rate is counted for Superhost qualification, acceptance rate isn't. 

Kevin1855
Level 3
Lancaster, PA

Thanks Sarah,  the conversation felt suspect from the get-go...it wasn't adding up.  And I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that Airbnb doesn't make it more clear that 3rd party booking are not acceptable.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kevin1855 the reason the booking came in as a request rather than an instant book is probably that the prospective guest did not meet your booking criteria. Any request to book should be regarded with caution.