Guest breached policy - Airbnb cancelled guest’s stay and guest damaged apartment - Is host still protected under Host Protection Guarantee?

Guest breached policy - Airbnb cancelled guest’s stay and guest damaged apartment - Is host still protected under Host Protection Guarantee?

We had a guest who recently instant booked for 3 nights. After checking in and staying for a night, Airbnb notified us that they will be cancelling the guest’s reservation and he must leave because he has breached Airbnb policy (no details given to us due to privacy reasons). We had a difficult time making the guest leave but when he finally left, our whole apartment has been extensively damaged. 
Now we are trying to make claims against Airbnb under the Host Protection Guarantee because Airbnb has allowed the guest to instant book and even stayed a night before notifying us that he was an inappropriate guest. 
However, Airbnb has cancelled the whole reservation and my calendar shows that the guest has not even stayed a night. 
I have contacted the case manager who handled this case but she says it’s beyond her control and it’s up to the claims department to assess. 
Has anyone had similar experiences and did you manage to get any money back for the damages caused? 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @TheMelbourneHome0 .  It is unclear to me in your post whether you have taken any of the steps required to file a claim for damages.  There are numerous posts about claims to the Air BNB insurance, which is different than the security deposit claim, and some have been successful in receiving settlements.  Most have reported they had to have a great deal of patience and proof to get any payment and the payment was much less than expected.  

I am not sure how you hold Air BNB responsible for the guest booking under IB unless you do not have IB activated.  They do not vet guests.  Even so, the insurance does not need for Air BNB to be responsible.  

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I have filed several cases for damages and received most of the reimbursement from host guarantee with no problem at all. The key is that you need to follow the guideline PRECISELY. Here's the information website.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/361/how-do-i-request-reimbursement-under-the-host-guarantee

The procedure is that you need to use "send or request money" in the resolution center, and upload all evidence. There might be chances that a responsible guest would just pay for the damage, but most cases not. After 3 days, or if guest declined your request, you can go to resolution center and involve Airbnb. 

Specially pay attention to this term: "Note that requests must be submitted either 14 days from the guest’s checkout, or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier." That means you need to start the request BEFORE the next guest checks in. Basically if you have guest checking in on the same day, then you only have a few hours to complete the request.