Guest cancellation due to Corona Virus

Answered!

Guest cancellation due to Corona Virus

Hi fellow hosts, 

I just wanted to pick your brains on the following. I host my villa in Bali while I am away. I use the strict cancellation policy. I was expecting a Chinese guest in 2 days time. This morning they told me they were cancelling because they wanted to go back to China because of the Corona virus.  I  replied that my strict cancellation policy applies. A few hours later I found out Airbnb China gave them a full refund because of special circumstances. What I do not understand is, why a virus in China is a good reason to cancel your reservation in Bali, when there are no family members directly involved. There is also no confirmed case in Bali of the Corona virus. This would  mean that all Chinese in the world can cancel their bookings and get a full refund.  Maybe I am missing something, or just not well enough informed ? Please let me know your experiences with similar situations. Thanks in advance. 

1 Best Answer
Norman9
Level 3
Honolulu, HI

I had guests cancelling 3 reservations from me yesterday, not happy about it! but forgo the money for your own community's sake; as Airbnb isn't doing any good-will gestures or public announcements.

See my repost from https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Guest-from-China-and-Corona-virus/td-p/1221279/page/3

---

Airbnb's internal policy regarding the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak as of yesterday (1/28/2020) is now allowing host to cancel without penalty, and for guests to cancel and get full refund from China (entire Mainland China, not just Wuhan Region). The specific dates in their Extenuating Circumstances policy covers up to April 1st. (airbnb customer service is so secretive about it and won't point me to an official airbnb press release, possibly because it would trigger mass cancellation hurting their quarterly earnings while they are planning to take the company public this year.. hmmm... Profits over People??)  If you work at airbnb and reading this, let your boss know that  https://news.airbnb.com/ is doing a terrible piss poor job at communicating with the public.

In my opinion, the sensible thing for airbnb to do would be to publicly announce their policy of "voluntary" cancellations:  and offer both host and guests a mix of 1. partial refund and 2. credit for future travel rather than allowing this mass panic of cancellations on both sides.  Host would get some of the money to pay bills while trying to fill the newly formed vacancies, guests can use the credit for travel at a future date, airbnb gets their 12%-15% cut of revenue upfront (credit losses later for tax write-offs and for the good-will on the PR front) without clogging up their phone lines with pissed off customers.

So if you are a host, due to this current un-announced policy,  there are many preventable "last minute cancellations" by the guests. If you have reservations from China I would suggest cancelling them early for the sake of preventing possible risk near your home, and give yourself time to fill the vacancy with guests from elsewhere.  It's a loss for everyone, until airbnb does announce something sensible.

View Best Answer in original post

90 Replies 90
Victoria244
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

Everyone should give mass feedback. "Anyone booking from this point on is well aware of the existence of the Corona Virus. Please use caution in making your choice to travel. Host's cancellation policies will be followed." 

Cristina814
Level 2
Valencia, ES

Last week I had guests from Milan, and I wanted to cancel their reservation, but Airbnb told me that I had to pay a penalty and I lost my super host category furthermore these days would  be locks. 
Today , I’ve received a message by Airbnb, they have decided ti cancel another reservation from Usa and refund the money to my guests, Airbnb has told that there are reasons for cancel the reservation, but when I wanted to cancel because I thought that it could be dangerous , I only received penalties of Airbnb.

They only thing about the guests no about the hosts, who really works for them 

Seriously? They would penalize you, but pay them??  What is your policy? Strict?  

Joanne468
Level 2
England, GB

Hi,

I am a relatively new host based in London, UK and would like to share my experience,  join the conversation. So far I seem to attract longstay bookings and my next guests due to stay were from South Korea for 50 nights.

A few weeks ago my guests flagged up their concerns about COVID-19 and travelling to the UK. Since South Korea being a severely impacted country, they were reassuring me about the level of precautions they were taking, for example staying at home until they travel. They were also considering cancelling. 

I contacted Airbnb Support Team for advice. At this point I reassured my guests that I was still happy for them to visit but also offered them a reduced cancellation fee should they prefer. I have strict cancellation policy in place.

A few weeks past, globally the COVID-19 situation was getting worse and I recontacted the guests to ask their thoughts about visiting. They expressed that they were scared. By this stage I had my own concerns around whether it was responsible for me to go ahead with the reservation.

Every day I was checking for updates on Airbnb's COVID-19 advice re: Extenuating Circumstances:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2701/coronavirus-information-and-extenuating-circumstances-pol...

There is a Section on South Korea but this still didn't apply to this particular booking due to dates. 

So I contacted Airbnb Support again for further advice.

The outcome: although the guest was unable to, Airbnb enabled me to cancel the booking under Extenuating Circumstances. 

I gave the guests a full refund. 

I was reassured that no penalties applied, that I wouldn't get a cancellation review plus that I would still be eligible for Superhost status at their next review 1 April.

This cancellation has hit me financially at a time when I really needed the money. Plus at short notice and I worry now that I won't get a booking to replace the dates.

However what I'd like to express is the excellent support I received from Airbnb. They got back to me immediately and spent ages weighing up best options with me.

It was my decision to offer a full refund under Extenuating Circumstances. 

And I did so because it was in my opinion the most responsible action to take. This is a very unique situation we are all facing. 

I appreciated both my guests communication, keeping in touch and being open about their fears. Plus Airbnb's advice. 

Ashleigh54
Level 2
Stow-on-the-Wold, GB

Our feelings on the Corona virus policy.
Dear AirBnB team, 
Further to your message below and our recent conversation, please find confirmation of the points discussed. 
With regard to the Coronavirus situation, it has already been clarified by the UK Government that where travel to affected places has been officially banned, then travellers should claim on their travel insurance as this official banning of travel activates its acceptance. 
I suggest that the advice from AirBnB to travellers from the current list of countries banning travel (China, South Korea and parts of Italy) and any future countries to be added in due course, should be same! Claim on your travel insurance. 
The financial onus should not be borne by the hosts (or AirBnB for that matter) but by the insurance companies which will inevitably pass this on to the relevant government.
Always take out travel insurance - good advice from any travel organisation.
“Personal Extenuating circumstances” criteria, such as family bereavement, loss of earnings, etc (all requiring documented evidence, I’m sure) are perfectly fine. This current hiatus should NOT be included as it will be dictated by the relevant Govt./Govts official policy. Hence the relevance of insurance claims. A personal fear of travel should NOT be considered acceptable with the consequent financial penalties primarily incurred by hosts. 
I look forward to a clarification communication. 
Best regards, Ash and Dave Cox, Superhosts in The Cotswolds.

@Ashleigh54  I am afriad you wont get a response from Airbnb on this thread as they dont read these pages. Community Centre serves only as a means of allowing hosts to share their woes, without bothering Airbnb.  Its rather clever actually: Get disgruntled hosts to complain to each other so they don't have to deal with them!   I am a superhost of 6 years and have never put a foot wrong but after being stung by Airbnb's completely unfair extenuating Circumstances policy last year, I have, in 2020, scaled back my airbnb business to short-notice weekend bookings only for my uk property and none for my Spanish one. I am now on with Homeaway, who let me dictate my own cancellation policy. Any cancellations I get for Covid 19, I can verify myself and decide for myself to give a refund or not.  I imagine my descisions will depend on whether a guest has travel insurance and where they are coming from.  But the fact remains it will be my decision NOT airbnb's.   Interestingly, I am nearly fully booked with Homeaway bookings and have lost very little by ditching airbnb. I am also considerably less stressed as I am back in control of my own business.  Good luck with everything! 

Ken1921
Level 2
Maple Ridge, CA

Just my two bits worth here.  I am not a host but have used Air BnB as a guest over 50 times now. We have a reservation in Rome for the end of March. While we have not cancelled yet, we may do so soon. I am not too concerned about getting sick, but if the Italian authorities continue to shut down public venues, there will not much point going to a deserted city where nothing much is open.  My message to Air Bnb is; allow guest cancellations without penalty. If not giving a refund, at least give future credit. Allow host cancellations without penalty to their ratings.  The short term financial loses will be more than offset by the goodwill earned.

Hosts have three tiers of cancellation policies.

They should honor all the three tiers just as they are.

No one made a guest pick a place with a strict cancellation policy and to all of a sudden change the policy is totally unfair to hosts (like myself) who picked that option.

Clearly, Airbnb likes to show lovely pictures of host cities in their marketing materials.  When it gets rough and those same communities need the revenue, Airbnb flinches and you realize it is all empty words.

Hi Allen..

I agree with you 100% !! I had a guest who canceled due to COVID. My policy was strict. When she realized there will be no refund, she went crazy. She kept on harassing me, to get the a refund, but I am not happy. December is peak time for us, she canceled & the owners (my parents) came back into this place, because of loss of income.. there was no way that we could pack-up my parents place again to re-instate the booking, after she changed her mind.. or to book other guests. My father is 83, my mother 74.

Now this guest wants to sue me for the money that was not refunded. She kept on sending threads via AirBnB messages, after I've asked them to block her, they don't care, until now,  I got zero  assistance from them at all.

The guests have lost 50% of their money while we also lost 50% of the rest because AirBnB only paid us a fraction of the amount.

This guest is threatening us now will lawyers letters & messages..

I am SO upset & disappointed in AirBnB. Do this guests has a foot to stand on, I know they don't  !!

Olga6
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Well, the thing is Ken that you are not a host.

Hosts rely on this income and for many losing the income could be a disaster. It is like losing the job. 

I refunded full sum to Chinese guests in January, quite a long booking. They were not from the affected area at that moment but I did understand that situation is risky. I didn't have to.

Jet now, couple of months down the road I have no income in perspective, my cleaning lady has to take part of the fall too as I will continue to pay her, she needs work.  But very soon under the circumstances I will not be able to. 

Fran3
Level 2
London, GB

Hello! Sorry to jump on this but I can't get answers to anything from air Bnb support - very frustrating and definitely no common sense being applied!

I Air bnb in London and had a guest check in from N Italy (not from the red zone at the time). I raised this with her on the day she checked in but she had been working from home as a precaution (she's pregnant). We agreed she could stay.

However, on Sunday morning due to the change in Italy and subsequent lock down she decided to fly home. Her decision and 2 weeks into her booking (due to check out on on 1/4).

She asked for a partial refund. I explained that we rely on the income and it was her choice to leave so we could not offer a refund. I said I would be prepared to re-list the room and IF we got any bookings would refund her that (ie so we weren't benefitted from double income). I also called Air bnb who told me IF she claimed she might be entitled to a refund and it would get docked off my next booking!!! I am SO confused as to why I am being penalised for her decision? I have tried to meet in the middle and will refund if we get bookings in the remaining period of her stay but it appears Air bnb will give her a full refund.....this does not seem right. Effectively meaning we are being asked to dip into our pockets because she made the decision to travel in the first place and then decided against it. Surely any refund for her should come from her own personal travel insurance?

Our cancellation policy states no refund if cancelled after check in which this us but because of Coronavirus it seems to be 'exceptional circumstances' and not applied.....and only screwing over me the host?!

Any ideas?! All help appreciated!

Thanks!

Airbnb seems VERY committed to not caring one iota about their hosts on this issue.

Chloe264
Level 1
Sheffield, GB

I think the CV policy is extremely frustrating and detrimental to the hosts in particular; both Airbnb and guests benefit from this new, temporary policy. I rely on my Airbnb to cover my mortgage and, as a business owner in the events world, who is really suffering during this turbulent period, the last thing I need is long term guests not only cancelling but being able to do so last minute, with me earning not one penny from it. I am not under any illusion that this payment will ever be even partially recuperated by a last-minute booking at this point.  Guests should be encouraged to use their travel insurance if they feel unable to travel, OR Airbnb should really put their philosophy of “caring about hosts” to the forefront and pay us out of their own company finances to cover losses. 

Angielena0
Level 3
Seattle, WA

As of today covid 19 is a pandemic , I have had all cancellations but our officials are putting into place to help small business owners. I am here in seattle one of the epicenters and I am keeping safe practices in our building but I have sent kind and thoughtful messages to all my guests who have had to cancel and wished them safety and health and I hope to see them in the future when things calm down. Hopefully we can get some financial help ( talk to your city representatives) and hopefully we can all survive this financial struggle . Stay strong my fellow hosts and travelers

Craig211
Level 1
Shiplake Cross, GB

We are the core of AirBnB and have all helped build their brand and huge profits! 

I am losing bookings this year - AirBnB should be doing the right thing and providing compensation to us hosts!