Guest complaint - Refunds

Alan1127
Level 1
Paisley, United Kingdom

Guest complaint - Refunds

I use the moderate and flexible cancellation policy,  - customers pay a little less for no cancellation stay. 

I had a guest who booked, and then a 5 days before tried to cancel, this would have been fine, except she had opted for  "no cancellation"  booking.  She said she needed to cancel as she had to isolate before an operation. I explained she should contact AirBnB and see if they could do anything, other than that I would be happy to move the dates. 

She messaged back a few days later saying she couldn't cancel and would continue with the booking.

I prepared the accommodation myself to my usual high (my accommodation is a boat) standard and messaged them the entry details. 

I got a text message from the guest at 21:45 saying they weren't staying ass they didn't feel safe or secure, with the boat being so secluded, and that the area the boat wasn't as pretty as they had thought.  They also complained the boat smelled, and was damp inside. 

Since the lock down lifted I have been fully booked, and every single guest has had a great time, with no complaints. There is no smell and no damp inside. The guest didn't call me to say there had concerns, and I would have explained there is CCTV and security guards at night, that is dark, but a very safe area. 

I feel they are just trying to find any excuse to get their money back, and it drives me wild. 

Now I'm worried they are going to leave me a negative review if I don't refund them. 

Any advice?

4 Replies 4
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Sad to see this mentality , so long lamented by American hosts , (& the very occasional English one!) has reached Scottish shores @Alan1127 !

Hosts more experienced in scammers than me may have better advice, but I would advise you not to be intimidated & manipulated by her, (else you're giving her permission to do this elsewhere!)

You have a choice of  presenting  this info to Airbnb, in the hope that they will side with you and uphold your cancellation policy, AND  then if she writes a bad retaliatory review you CAN reply so your future guests see the truth.... 

Or you can choose not to involve Airbnb, as many guests & hosts report exceptionally long wait times (& capricious, inconsistant & illogical decision making) &  just stick to your guns and deal with her yourself.... And DO write an honest review about how she tried to manipulate you into a refund, then made false allegations. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Alan1127 

One thing I would advise, is that at the five day out point there is little to gain by asking the guest to contact airbnb to see what they can do. As you know, they can't do much except contact you to persuade you to fold to the very same request the guest asks for.

It's just means this matter rebounds to you a few days later with unwanted extras.

One way would might have been, to tell the guest to cancel asap but offer a refund or part of, subject to any re-bookings received. Especially useful if you do attract last minute bookings, plus reviews aren't possible.

Anyway, it's useful for you now to examine the guest refund policy as per the link below,  as well as searching on the topic how to reply to bad reviews but like a pro.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnbs-guest-refund-policy-for-stays

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Alan1127  A very sad and obvious situation, the guest has issued a "no refund" rate out of savings and will now look for problems in your housing or area to get their money back.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @Elena87 . Cancellations and refunds are the job of Air BNB to handle for a guest.  Your post is a little unclear, but it appears the guest did show up and then decided not to stay if there are reports of smells, right?  Be sure to have all messages on the Air BNB platform, even a summary of any phone calls, and direct the guest to deal with Air BNB about any refund.  You will not get a positive review no matter what, so do not let that issue guide your business/hosting decisions.  Good luck and keep us posted if you please.