Guest from China and Corona virus

Answered!

Guest from China and Corona virus

Hi can anyone help please. I received a booking from China yesterday for a stay at my place next week. With the news about the Chinese Corona virus: How worried should I be?

1 Best Answer
Anh-and-David0
Level 3
New York, United States

I decided to cancel my guest's reservation even though she's supposed to check in today.  I had to call AB&B to process the cancellation due to the short notice.  AB&B mentioned they're getting a lot of calls about the outbreak, and were willing to cancel the reservation penalty-free for both me and the guest.

The guest is getting all their money back and I am not being penalized as host.  I feel badly to inconvenience them, but frankly it's just not worth the risk to my family.  I did some research and sent her suggestions for alternative lodging close by and at similar cost.  Hopefully it won't ruin their trip.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully the outbreak gets controlled quickly.

View Best Answer in original post

99 Replies 99
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

25.000 sick people today according to a senior Hong Kong public health official (Croatian newspaper today)

The newspaper said 20 cities (56.000.000 people) are quarantined not only in Wuhan but in surrounding districts as well.

They also said the number of sick and infected people will double every 6 days .... so we can expect around 6,400.000 sick people by March 17th... the beginning of the tourist season in EU (Croatia population is 3.500.000 )

So, Airbnb can either allow prevention cancelations of Chinese guests or will face extenuating circumstances cancelations when hosts get sick and will be unable to host anyone for weeks.

Bronwyn11
Level 6
Auckland, New Zealand

I was lucky that my guests cancelled their whole trip to New Zealand, on their own account, because of the coronavirus, choosing not to risk their health as well by travellng. I appreciated their expanation as the cancellation came only a day out from their arrival (last week)

Hi I’m guessing you had to forfeit your earnings for this stay?

Phoebe86
Level 2
Anaheim, CA

I have the same concern. I currently have guests from mainland China. We were communicating effectively until I reached out to ask if there’s anybody in her family has symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, fever. The guest refused to reply. I had airbnb tried to contact them today and they didn’t answer either. They have a couple of days left & I was wondering what kind of steps (regarding cleaning and disinfectants) I need to take after their check out? Thanks!!!! 

Hi Phoebe86,

Gosh you're brave but I believe you could have asked for a preventative cancellation, I mean people are dying. As far as I know And I have been reading extensively No one has brought up the subject of cleaning solutions. The Center of Disease Control may know but it's still early days.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I don't have any upcoming travelers from the crisis regions.  If I did, I would ask for a cancellation.

For my health and the health of my current and upcoming guests (one of whom does have a serious but manageable medical condition), I am going to turn off instant book for the next few weeks.

Also, I am going to message anyone who sends a request or inquiry with "Due to the spread of the Corona Virus, I am asking all those who would like to book my rooms, that if you have lived in an area with confirmed cases of Corona Virus or have passed through one of those areas at any time this year, please withdraw your request.  Thank you for your understanding."

(help with the wording would be welcome though!)

I have put on my listing that I will be doing doorstep temperature testing. Airbnb has agreed this. Basically if your temperature is raised please refer back to Airbnb and they will find alternative accommodation for you. Does this mean some host who doesn't test or a hospital. Vague as ever................... Good luck and stay safe.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I think the most sensible thing I've heard on the media outlets, so far, this morning, is "Don't Panic".  

My personal opinion, fwiw, (after having spent 25 years in the medical field as a Pharmacist) is the following :-

1. Do your best to avoid panic generated by social media 

2. Be informed. Read the websites likely to know the most up-to-date information, understanding that they are, also, trying to avoid panic. 

3. Understand what viruses are, and how to manage them on a day-to-day basis (there is plenty of information out there)

4. Properly evaluate your own personal risk, based on the facts as you know them, and build a plan to realistically manage it - including a cleaning protocol. 

Coming into contact with bacteria and viruses is inevitable.  How one responds has to be based on the most up-to-date information.  2019-nCoV is new.  Information is evolving day-by-day.   

There is one confirmed case of 2019-nCoV  in my area.  About 24 miles from me.  The person flew in from Wuhan, was diagnosed based on symptoms which developed after returning home, and is currently being treated in isolation.  Nobody has contracted the virus from her.  She did not use public transit. There's no reason for me to think I will contract 2019-nCoV from her, or pass it on to anyone else. 

From the local news :-

"She arrived home, landing at O'Hare International Airport, on Jan. 13 and started developing symptoms three to four days later, officials said. Although placed in a special isolation unit immediately after visiting her doctor, the woman was never critically ill, health authorities said.

In between her return to Chicago and her hospitalization, the woman remained mostly at home, but health authorities have checked the people with whom she had contact. The people she did interact with were considered to be well last week, officials said."

Of course, everyone has to evaluate their own personal situation, and act accordingly. 

Norman9
Level 3
Honolulu, HI

FYI: Airbnb's internal policy regarding the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak as of yesterday (1/28/2020) is now allowing host to cancel without penalty, and for guests to cancel and get full refund from China (entire Mainland China, not just Wuhan Region). The specific dates in their Extenuating Circumstances policy covers up to April 1st. (airbnb customer service is so secretive about it and won't point me to an official airbnb press release, possibly because it would trigger mass cancellation hurting their quarterly earnings while they are planning to take the company public this year.. hmmm... Profits over People??)  If you work at airbnb and reading this, let your boss know that  https://news.airbnb.com/ is doing a terrible piss poor job at communicating with the public.

In my opinion, the sensible thing for airbnb to do would be to publicly announce their policy of "voluntary" cancellations:  and offer both host and guests a mix of 1. partial refund and 2. credit for future travel rather than allowing this mass panic of cancellations on both sides.  Host would get some of the money to pay bills while trying to fill the newly formed vacancies, guests can use the credit for travel at a future date, airbnb gets their 12%-15% cut of revenue upfront (credit losses later for tax write-offs and for the good-will on the PR front) without clogging up their phone lines with pissed off customers.

So if you are a host, due to this current un-announced policy,  there are many preventable "last minute cancellations" by the guests. If you have reservations from China I would suggest cancelling them early for the sake of preventing possible risk near your home, and give yourself time to fill the vacancy with guests from elsewhere.  It's a loss for everyone, until airbnb does announce something sensible.

outbreak.jpg

Bo66
Level 2
kbh, DK

What will Airbnb say, if I write on my profile:

To protect my family from the Coronavirus it is not possible for guests from China to book a room, until the situation is over. I hope for your understanding.

They would go absolutely bonkers mate as you know!!!!!! Always favouring guests, putting hosts at risk and denying us any right to cancel on gut feeling. ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

I am brand new to airbnb and our first booking enquiry just came as "a family of 10 wanting to stay" from China.  I wondered if they have been unable to go home if their area is affected.  I haven't accepted the booking which is hard as its our first but I am concerned for my villa staff.  I have asked them where they are from but I am unsure if there is a process I should follow?

Any experienced host I would appreciate you help.

Katy

A horrible start for you. But say NO. You will find very little support from Airbnb on this problem - or many others to be fair.  Guests coming directly or via China are easy to cancel. All guests now have run the risk of being exposed to this virus through travel and/or person to person contact. No guidance from Airbnb on this question - which will become more pertinent as the days go on and the situation worsens.

Garry97
Level 2
Toronto, CA

I'm flying from Beijing to Tokyo on Feb 9th and booked a place on Airbnb. I feel perfectly fine but I want to take precautions given the chance of contact with infected persons. I believing avoiding any non-essential traveling at this time is the responsible thing to do.

Is it possible for me to get a full refund on the reservation? Should I reach out directly to my host in this case? 

I appreciate your response in advance.